Polpos test?

"That left arm of yours..." came a booming voice that caused me and Giorno to jump a bit "is it injured?" The large bed then formed an arm.

The bed then formed another arm and started to inflate. In a matter of seconds, the large bed became a huge man with a weird red hat and black and green eyes. He towered above me and Giorno, I could practically hear Annabel shudder in the back of my mind.

The fat man pointed at Giorno "Its just on your right hand, but the fingers are slightly red, like you were holding something. Like lines left by a bag. Which would mean you were holding a bag in your right hand up until now. Why is that?"

Giorno looked at his hand "Well, uh...you're right. I was holding my bag in my right hand because as you observed, I hurt my left arm" he said and put his hand on his arm.

Polpo chuckled as he reached back into the mini fridge "I envy your ability to be reckless with your body" he then pulled out a bottle of wine and a glass " would you two like some wine? I have some exquisite Chianti Classico. It pairs perfectly with some Scarmorza cheese and caviar on a cracker" he said pouring the wine into the glass.

"We were told that we aren't allowed to give or receive anything from you" Giorno replied to him.

Polpo scoffed "they're just saying that. What people say and what they do..." he sipped his wine and pressed a button on a remote that opened up a large hidden compartment in the cell "are completely different. That's the best and worst thing about people."

The compartment held a large shelf filled with many different things such as a tv, guns, ammo, a violin, books, a stuffed bear and more.

"The only downside of this cell is...well...the fact that I can't admire Michelangelo's great painting in the Sistine Chapel" he said as he continued to stuff his face with food and drinking wine.

"Blech, I'd never say it out loud, but this fat lard never ceases to disgust me" Anna wrenched in the back of my mind.

I took a deep breath 'yeah, this can't be healthy to a normal human being.'

"Buccirati's told me all about you two. So you want to join the organization? Hmm... (Name) (Last name) and Giorno Giovanna...was it?" Polpo looked at us but seemed to look more intently at me "hmm, you look very familiar, have we met before?"

'He's on to us!'

"Don't fucking panic!"

'Yeah...you're right.'

"Umm, no. I don't believe so" I said as I tilted my head to feign confusion.

"Hmm, alright then" he said and leaned back to pick up a cracker "well then, why don't we get this interview started" he then started to eat the cracker and eventually, two of his fingers.

I flinched a bit when I saw chew through them and showing no sign of any fucks given when the blood started gushing out. I didn't want to keep seeing it, but I couldn't look away.

"Good lord, stop! Look away! I don't wanna see this disgusting fat shit eat his fingers again!" Anna yelled in my head.

'Again? Is this just some shit he does to freak out potential members? Does he want everyone to know him as a freaky disgusting human being?!' I wasn't paying attention but once my attention came back to the present, I saw that his fingers had returned to normal and he was holding two lighters.

"What do you two think is the most important thing when it comes to choosing someone, (Name) and Giorno?"

"Is it what they are capable of?" Giorno asked.

"Hah, you wish it was that easy" Anna scoffed.

"Oh? And what exactly are you capable of?" Polpo asked almost intrigued.

Giorno held both of his fists up and opened them up, letting the money and wallet that belonged to the gaurd drop to the floor. I smiled as Polpo gasped looking at the stolen goods on the floor.

"I borrowed a few things when she was patting us down. I thought this would be useful for your test. Of course, I'll return them afterwards" Giorno said.

Polpo laughed in amusement "do you have anything else?"

"Other than that, the only other skill I have is that I can completely fold my ear into my head" Giorno said as he did so while I looked away.

"Hey, I wanna see!" Anna said in disappointment.

'But I don't.' I grumbled back.

Polpo laughed once again "that's rather amusing" he then looked to me "how about you? Would you like to take a guess?"

I put my finger to my chin as if to think "well, is it trust?"

"Indeed it is" he said enthusiastically "trust is the more important than capability, Giorno Giovanna. The most important thing when it comes to choosing people is trust. In comparison, being smart or talented means just as much as this cracker between my teeth" he picked out a piece of cracker and flicked it at the glass towards Giornos face.

Polpo held the two lighters in front of him "this test is to see how trustworthy you two are" and lit both of them "with this lighters flame."

A hatch opened on the cells heavy metal door. The two lighters were stood on a the hatch's door.

"Take them you two, and make sure the flame doesn't go out" he ordered us as we walked over to them.

Giorno was the first to reach out to take the lighter but once his hand got close enough to touch it, the flame faltered causing him to flinch away a bit.

"Oh, and be extra careful to make sure the flames don't go out" Polpo said "Fuller, the 17th century theologian, said 'He's my friend that speaks well of me behind my back'. In order for you to join the organization, you'll have to show how trustworthy you can be when we can't see you. For 24 hours, you will hold on to that lighter without letting the flame go out. If you two can do that, I'll let you two join the organization. All you have to do is sit quietly in your room until 11am tomorrow and make sure the flame doesn't go out. However, if you two take us too lightly and the flame does go out, it means you are untrustworthy and I cannot allow you two to join our organization. Now, take it. This is your entrance exam!"

Giorno reached out to take the lighter more carefully this time, shielding the flame with one hand and holding the lighter with the other. I followed suit and carefully held the lighter close to me. I was so focused on the lighter that I almost forgot what was about to happen next.

"All visitors must go through another body check when they get through the gate."