Chapter 11: You're not a jerk

I looked around for Peter, and almost gave up and went back to the hotel, when I felt a web attach itself to my back. I looked at the source, and smiled when I finally saw Peter. He continued to pull me up towards the roof of a structure, and we sat on the edge together.

"You okay?" I asked. He frowned.

"...he's right you know. I was being selfish," he said.

"No you weren't! You were concerned for our friend's safety. That is the opposite of selfish," I told him.

"Peter Parker, all you ever do it care about others! Selfish? That's not a word I think you understand, because it isn't you. You are so much more than that, and I hope you know somewhere that you aren't," I said, and got up to find a way down.

"Are you coming?" I asked gently? He turned around.

"I think I'm gonna stay here for a bit. I'll catch up with you later, I promise," he said. Even when he was sad, he was still the perfect guy I fell in love with.

"Alright. Be safe, and don't use your webs so much, you could get caught," I winked at him, making his chuckle a bit. I found a ladder and climbed my way down towards the street, and walked back to the hotel alone.

Peter's POV:

A few seconds later, Mysterio came flying up to me with his helmet on. I could barely lift my head to look at him.

"Look, Fury asked me to come up here and see how you were doing. He just, he felt bad about snapping at you," he said, and my head perked up in hope.

"Really?" I asked.

"You guys do have sarcasm on this Earth, right?" he asked. My head fell again.

"How are you feeling?" he asked me.

"I didn't think I was gonna have to save the world this summer. I know that makes me sound like such a jerk. I just...I had this plan with this girl I really like..."

"Y/N," he clarified.

"What? How did you-"

"You guys are really cute together," he said, and I smiled a bit.

"I had this plan, to give her the best vacation ever. Now, it's ruined, and I'm pretty sure this is adding even more stress to her, and I just want her to be able to relax and have fun," I said. Mysterio came to sit next to me.

"You're not a jerk for wanting a normal life, and wanting what is best for the ones you love. It's a hard path. You see things, you do things, make choices. People who look up to you, even if you win a battle sometimes. They die. I like you Peter. You're a good kid. There's a part of me that wants to tell you...just turn around, run from this, and go be with the girl you love. And then, there is another part of me that knows what we are about to fight. What's at stake. And I'm glad you're here," he said. I smiled.

"Me too. But-"

"You're worried about your friends," he said in a friendly tone.

"Yeah. I just always feel like I'm putting everyone I love in danger," I said, thinking back.

"Look just, get them inside and keep them in a safe place, for just a few hours. It'll be alright," he told me. I nodded.

"What about Y/N? What if I can't save her and that monster thing..."

"She will be okay. And if she isn't, I'll bet you will save her," he said.

"Plus, I know your plans got ruined, but you will have the rest of the summer to spend with her," he said, and I smiled at that thought.

"It's really nice... to have someone else to talk about, superhero stuff, you know?" I said.

"Anytime." With that, he flew away. I looked around and jumped off the roof, and turned around to see an old couple walking.

"Scusi! Sorry, that's Italian..." I mumbled to myself. I thought about what Beck had said, and pulled out my Friday glasses.

"Okay, uh, Friday?" I asked.

"Hello Peter."

"Hey! Uh I need to find a way to keep my friends inside for the next few hours."

"Let's see what we can do," she said, and shortly after pulled up tickets to an opera near our hotel.

"That's perfect! Can you get enough for my whole class, and send them to Mr. Harrington from the Tour Company?" I asked. She waited a minute.

"Done. Is there anything else you need?"

"Nope. Thank you so much," I said, putting the glasses back away.

Y/N's POV:

When I got back to the hotel, I decided to look inconspicuous, by dressing up for the carnival, even though I wouldn't be going. I didn't put much effort into it, but when I was going though my suitcase, I found that somehow my suit was put in there. Shield works in mysterious ways. I put the suit in my purse, which surprisingly fit, and walked out to the lobby where the other students were waiting.

I sat in a chair and talked to Ned, Betty and MJ for a bit, until Peter finally showed up.

"Hey Peter! Where were you?" Ned asked, and Peter and I looked at each other.

"Uh, for a walk. The city is just...so beautiful," he said.

"Good news! We're going to the opera!" Mr. Harrington announced as he approached our group. Opera? How? Why? I looked over at Peter, and he gave me a wink. I immediately knew.

"Wow! That's gonna be...so exciting!" I said, very fake.

"What? What happened to the Carnival?" MJ asked.

"This is upgraded living," Mr. Harrington said. I saw Peter give Ned a nodding look.

"Do you have any idea how much opera tickets cost?" he asked.

"No. Because none of us have ever wanted to go to the opera," Flash said, and I rolled my eyes. If only they all knew that this might save their lives.

"Uh, well I think this is going to be culturally enriching for us," Ned chimed in. I tried to hide my smile.

"Thank you Ned. Everyone, this is going to be, maybe, the best four hours of the trip," he said. Everyone erupted in disagreements.

"What?!?!"

I looked over at Peter and we both chuckled a little bit.

"Guys, I think this is going to be really fun. Seriously," Ned said.

"Yeah! Operas are very entertaining," I said. Thank god the plan was already working.

The whole class groaned, but we eventually got everyone to the opera house. Peter and I stayed back as everyone took their seats.

"Ned, can you cover for me? If anyone asks, just say I'm sick or something," I heard Peter tell Ned. I guess I wouldn't have anyone covering for me, which is fine.

Peter turned back to me, and gave me a worried look.

"You ready?" he asked, holding my hand.

"Yep, lets go kick some ass," I said, and we both ran outside to go change to our suits.