Chapter 13: Aftermath

Peter, Beck and I make our way over to Nick Fury.

"So, it's over?" Hill asked.

"That was the last of them," Beck said. Thank god.

"But that's not the last threat we will ever face. We need to stay vigilant. There's a void in this world for someone like you. Hill and I are going to Europol headquarters in Berlin tomorrow. You should join us," Fury said to Beck.

"Thank you. I just might take you up on that," Beck said, shaking Fury's hand. Then Fury turned to Peter and I.

"You two have got gifts. But you didn't want to be here," he said, and I got nervous.

"Mr. Fury I-" Peter started.

"I'd love to have you both in Berlin, too. But you've got to decide whether you are going to step up or not," he said, before turning to me.

"Your father is an incredible man, but if I would have asked him to help save the world, he wouldn't have hesitated to say yes," he told me sternly. I felt my eyes welling up a bit. I was actually being compared to my father. We are completely different human beings, this was so unfair.

"And you. Stark chose you, he made you an Avenger. Maybe he was wrong. Was he?" he asked Peter.

"The choose is yours," he said, before walking away.

Peter and I sat down silently on a staircase and just looked down.

"I'm not my father," I finally said. He looked over to me.

"I'm not even an Avenger. I've never saved the world before like this, and it's just...I..." I started to fall apart, but I didn't cry. I felt too strong to cry, after everything that has happened. Peter embraced me in a hug, and I heard him sniffle.

"He is right though. Mr. Stark made me an Avenger, and I can't live up to what he thought I would be," Peter said sadly.

"Oh shit! I forgot something!" I said, as I started to run back towards the alleyway where I dropped the mysterious thing that fell out of...the air? while we were in our fight. I put it in my backpack, and walked back to Peter.

"What did you forget?" he asked.

"Something...odd. I'll show you later," I told him. I held out my hands to him, and he took them and stood up.

"Can we go back home now?" I asked, giving him a pouty face.

"We aren't going home until Friday, Y/N," he said, and I realized my mistake.

"Oh, I meant the hotel. I don't know why I thought it was home I just-" and the I realized.

"-home is where you are," I said. He smiled at that.

"Alright, lets go back to the hotel. Gonna be real fun explaining to everywhere where we were when we weren't at the opera," he said, and he kissed my forehead.

Just then, Beck walked up to us, and motioned for us to follow him.

"Let's get a drink," he said, and Peter and I looked at each other.

"We aren't 21..." Peter said.

"It's alright, you guys go. I'm exhausted from today, I don't get how you guys do this all the time. Have fun," I said, and walked back towards the hotel.

On my way back, I saw Ned and Betty waiting in the lobby, looking very intense. I walked over to them and they barely looked up.

"Hey guys," I said.

"WE ALMOST DIED!" Ned exclaimed, and I took a step back.

"Yeah, I know I saw-I mean, what?! How?!" I said quickly. Damn, lying about being two people was hard.

"Yeah, it was crazy. You know that water monster we saw in Venice? There was another one here! But it was made of fire, or lava, or something," Betty recalled, as I nodded along, throwing in some shocked expressions.

"Wait, you guys weren't at the opera?" I asked, keeping my lie going.

"We saw MJ sneak out, so we wanted to as well to go to the carnival. But, you guys didn't see anything?" Ned asked. Oh no. Did the students in the opera see anything?

"Uh...I mean I heard some stuff, but I was mostly just falling asleep," I lied, hoping no one would come back saying that they saw everything.

"But, wait! That's not the best part. There were 3 new superheros there! There was that Mysterio guy, a European ripoff of Spider-Man named, Night Monkey, and some other girl who looked a lot like Black Widow," Betty said, and it clicked in my head why she was calling Night Monkey to us.

"Wait really? That's...crazy," I said, and they both nodded. Whew, I guess they bought it.

Peter's POV:

We sat down and Beck ordered a beer, while I got water. All I could do was just stare down at my glass, untouched.

"Hey. You gotta celebrate. You did something good tonight," he said, patting me on the back.

"Yeah..." I said, still hearing Fury's words about me in my head.

"Fury was right. Mr. Stark chose me for a reason, and I was so willing to bail so I could have a normal summer. Mr. Stark would always have jumped right into any role, if it meant saving the world, and Fury just wants me to live up to that," I said, pretty guilty.

"What do YOU want?" Beck said. The question caught me off guard.

"What do you mean?"

"What do you want?"

"...uh...I don't-I don't know..."

"What do you want, you, Peter Parker, right now? I know you're thinking about it. What do-"

"I wanna go on my trip. Right? I wanna go back on my trip, with my friends, and my girlfriend, and go to the top of the Eiffel Tower, give her this necklace and...kiss her."

"Ooh," Beck said, and I started blushing.

"Shut up, man I, I just wanted to make her not stressed out during this trip," I said, and felt bad instantly.

I haven't made this trip a complete disaster, right?