CHAPTER 7

Even though I said to meet in a public place, I was nervous sitting there all alone. Not even my cappuccino and croissant was enough to untie all the knots I had in the pit of my stomach. I watched as a few early morning worker's bustled about the empty mall, and I knew it would only be a matter of time before I was once again face to face with the man who raped me.

My god Faith, is this a good idea? I thought, nervously touching the duffel bag again that sat by my feet.

Yes. It's the only way of resolving this thing quickly and cleanly...I told myself.

I remember once saying to Roman that I had done so much since that fateful night to keep my head above water, which is why I be damned if I let this drown me now.

I was deep in thought, that I jumped about 10 feet in the air when I felt a hand on my shoulder! I knew who it was, so I slowly turned round and looked up at him. Seth nervously placed his hand back in his pockets, but stood close to me as he smiled warmly and said ''Hey Faith'' he a soft, but nervous tone.

''Hello Seth.'' I replied stone faced.

He eyes immediately darted to my un-eaten croissant and coffee on the table ''Are you gonna finish that?'' he asked eagerly.

I shook my head.

''May I?'

I nodded, and watched as he wolfed them both down in front of me like he hadn't eaten in weeks. He looked a little embarrassed, but quickly brushed it off with a nervous joke ''At least now you don't have to leave a tip right?'' he grinned.

I looked down at my lap, not knowing what to say right now. It was just so awkward seeing him like this, and I began remembering how I couldn't even get a wink of sleep last night, as I was still finding it hard to process all what was going on. But I didn't let it show on my face.

''So how are you babe?'' he asked.

''I'm good, um, let's go over here ok?'' I said, and stood up, slinging the duffel bag over my shoulder with me, as I lead him to a more quieter area of the mall. I had already staked out the joint earlier, and made sure there was a place somewhere that was private enough so we could talk, but one that I could also escape if I needed to, because regardless of how much time had gone by, or how sorry he claimed to be...the fact of the matter was I still didn't trust him!

He followed me silently, and we turned the corner where I sat him down on a bench, while I myself stood and looked him dead in the eyes. He smiled warmly at me again, but my face was like stone.

''What are we doing here Faith?'' he asked looking around nervously, before looking back up at my face again ''You not gonna have me whacked are you?'' he joked.

I ignored his comment, and slowly took the duffel bag off of my shoulder and placed it down in front of him.

''This is for you'' I said calmly.

Seth looked at the bag curiously ''What's this?'' he asked.

''Open it...''

I watched his face as he opened the bag containing the $10,000 dollars he once used to pay for my fine.

''Oh my god! No! NO!'' he said all of a sudden ''Faith, this is not why I came to you!'' He quickly stood up and reached his arms out to touch me, but I immediately stepped back.

''Just take it Seth. Take it and walk away'' I said quietly.

''I can't take this! And I can't walk away...don't you understand Faith...it's you I wan-...''

''Don't embarrass yourself more than you already have Seth!'' I hissed coldly.

''Why are you doing this?'' he asked ''Why would you even give me this?''

''Because it's what I owe you. There's exactly $10,000 dollars in there. Not a penny more, and not a penny less'' I took a step closer to him now, and held his gaze so he understood I was dead serious ''I'm paying you to stay the hell out of my life Seth '' I said, and without another word I turned and walked away from him.

I could hear Seth call out my name, but I just held my head high, and kept on walking...

*****

ROMAN POV:

I began to get a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach when I woke that morning and saw that Faith wasn't lying next to me.

Where are you baby?

She had been real quiet last night when we left the arena, and she was quiet the whole time I made love to her too. I knew she was feeling uncomfortable after being in Seth's home state, I just guess I didn't realize how much.

I sat up and called out for her, but no answer. I checked the bathroom and balcony, but no sign of her. I called her cell too, but it was off. Panicked, I quickly got dressed and checked the gym, but she was still nowhere around. I really began worrying now because this just wasn't like her. Suddenly I had an idea! I quickly ran outside to check round the building, figuring she may have snuck out for a secrete cigarette or something. She hadn't. Jesus baby, where are you!

I couldn't help but be worried, so I tried to calm my nerves, as I made my way back up to our room. I decided to wait there and give her a little time, before I started looking for her again.

''Hey baby!'' she said when I opened the door.

''Oh my god!'' I said, rushing over to her and grabbing her up in my arms ''Babygirl I've been looking absolutely for you everywhere!'' I cried ''Where have you been??''

''Aww I'm so sorry Roman, I just needed to get some fresh air before starting to pack, so I took a run around the block'' she said casually.

I knew instantly she was lying...but why?

''As long as you're ok baby, then I'm happy'' I smile, leaning down to kiss her soft lips.

She kissed me back slowly, but just like last night, I could see that her mind was distracted.

I let it pass, knowing that things would go back to normal once we were out of Davenport.

Next state...Green Bay Wisconsin!