𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 1: 𝓙𝓾𝓼𝓽 𝓖𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽

~Ev's Pov~

I woke up to crying. I sighed and walked over to my little sister's crib that stood a few feet away from my bed. I picked her up and cradled her in my arms. "Hi Ella." I whispered. She looked up at me with her large green eyes. Her crying started to lessen and she started to grab at me. I yawned as I took her to the kitchen. "You hungry?" I asked. I held her as I took out a baby bottle from a cabinet and I set it on the counter. I held Ella with one arm and I took the milk out of the fridge. I poured some in a pot that was in the sink and I put it on the stove. I heated the milk and poured it in the bottle, testing the heat so it didn't burn her mouth. I gave her the bottle and walked back to my room and fed her. When she finished I burped her and cradled her until she fell asleep. I set her in her crib and I got back in bed. I laid there thinking. I looked at the clock that sat on the nightstand next to my bed. It was 6 AM. I need to get ready for work. I got up and put on a white tank top and I put my blue Dx shirt over it, leaving it unbuttoned. I then put on a pair of jeans. I went to my bathroom and I fixed my dark curls. I then rushed back to my room and got on my black high top converse that were slightly too small. I grabbed a bag filled with things for Ella and I put it on my back. I picked her up and I walked out of the house. As I was locking up I saw an orange sheet of paper on the door with big black letters that read "Eviction notice." I ripped the paper from the door and I folded it, putting it in my pocket. I took Ella to my next door neighbor, Sharri. I knocked on the door and she opened it.

"Hi Ev, off to work?" She asked. I nodded. She was in her late 50's who already had two daughters and six grandchildren of her own.

"Yup, and thank you so much for taking care of Ella." I smiled.

"You're welcome." She smiled back. A red car pulled up and I smiled.

"Well I'm off, I'll be back later to take her home." I hugged her. She nodded. "Bye."

"Bye." I jogged over to the car and got in the passenger seat.

"Hey Dal." I smiled at my best friend. "Where'd you get the car?" I asked.

"I borrowed it permanently. You alright man? You seem, tence." He asked. I took the orange paper from my pocket and handed it to him. He read it as he drove me to work. "You're getting evicted? Ev you said you had the money." He sighed.

"I thought I did, now I don't know what to do." I put my head in my hands.

"Man...." He sighed. "I would let you stay with me but you have Ella and she shouldn't grow up in a place like that. I don't want her turning out like me." He said. "You can see if you can stay with Pony, Darrel and Soda." He suggested. I nodded.

"I'll ask Soda at work." I sighed and looked at him. "Why is everything so hard for us Dal?" I asked.

"Cause' we're greasers man and that's how it is for us greasers." He said with his tuff New York accent. Like Ponyboy once told me, "Dally was so real, he scared me." I believed Pony too. I sometimes wished he would be less real. We pulled up to the Dx and I got out of the car. I waved at him.

"I'll see you after my shift Dal." I smiled.

"I'll see you doll." He smiled back. I watched him drive away, I sighed and walked into the store. Steve was looking at a car magazine and Sodapop was asleep in a chair with an open bottle of Coke in his lap. I smiled and rolled my eyes.

"Hey Steve." I waved.

"Hey Ev." He said not looking up from his magazine.

"Hey watch this." I smirked. I went to a fridge and grabbed a bottle of Coke and I opened it with my switchblade that was in my pocket. I walked behind the counter and I hit the top of Sodapop's bottle with my bottle which made it explode all over him. Steve and I laughed as Sodapop woke up and put the bottle in his mouth to keep it from spilling everywhere. He ran outside and let it continue to overflow outside. Steve fist bumped me and Soda walked inside with a look of pure hatred. I tried to hold back a laugh but failed and started to laugh again causing Steve to laugh with me. Eventually Soda gave in and started laughing with Steve and I.

"Alright that was a good one but now you're cleaning everything." Soda scuffed up my hair.

"Hey that uncalled for." I gave him a stern look. He chuckled. I went and got a mop and cleaned up the mess I made.

***

We had helped so many cars today that I couldn't bear to take another, and I love cars. The boys and I took turns every customer. My shift was almost over and a car pulled up.

"This is yours." Steve yawned.

"Do I have to?" I asked.

"Yes, if you want to keep your job." Soda rolled his eyes. I sighed and flipped them off as I walked outside. As I got closer I noticed who was in the car. It was Dallas Winston. I smiled and walked over. He poked his head out of the rolled down window.

"Hey Dal." I smiled.

"Hey." He winked at me. I felt my stomach get knotted up.

"What are you doing here I still have," I checked the clock on the dashboard. "5 minutes." I smiled.

"Well I noticed I need gas, a pack of cigarettes and I thought I can be a little early." He said. I nodded and I went to the gas pump and I filled the car. "So how was it today?" He asked.

"Busy. Besides when I first got here, this is the slowest I've seen it today." I said, as I finished filling up the tank.

"So did you talk to Soda yet?" He got out of the car and walked with me inside the little store.

"No, I'll do it now though." I sighed. He hugged me and sighed. I smiled and he went to go look around. I walked over to Soda. "Hey I have a question." I said.

"Yeah, what's up?" He asked. I took the eviction notice out of my pocket and handed it to him. He looked at it and hugged me. "I'm sorry Ev. You and your sister can hang with my brothers and I if you want." He offered.

"That's what I was going to ask," I admitted. "Thank you." I hugged him again. I heard someone clear their throat. Soda and I looked to see Dally.

"Man, I hate to break this sweet moment but I have shit I wanna buy and not actually steal." He lit a cancer stick.

"Hey Dally." Soda smiled.

"Hey man." He handed Soda money for his purchase. I looked at the time and I waved to Steve and Soda.

"I'll see you boys at your place." I smiled.

"Bye." They said in unison. Dally and I walked outside.

"Man I'm bored." Dally sighed. I smiled and nodded. I got in the passenger side of the car and he put the roof down. He hopped over the door and got inside. "Are we getting the little monster?" He asked. I nodded. He then started for my house.