𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 4: 𝓣𝓱𝓻𝓮𝓮 𝓜𝓸𝓷𝓽𝓱𝓼 𝓛𝓪𝓽𝓮𝓻

I woke up to the smell of eggs being cooked. I got up and noticed Ella was gone. I walked out of my shared room and sure enough my roommate, Darry, was holding Ella while he cooked. I smiled remembering that today is Ella's 1st birthday. "Morning Darry." I smiled.

"Morning." He yawned.

"How long have you been up?" I asked.

"Two hours." He said.

"What? Darry two hours ago was five in the morning." My eyes widened.

"I know, she woke up and was crying and you wouldn't wake up so I thought to hang out with her for a bit. Plus you need a break, you've been working for weeks without end, you even had to cancel your date with Dally." He said. I sighed.

"I'm horrible." I sat in a chair.

"You're not horrible, you are just responsible and you have been since you were young, and when your parents left last year, you took on more responsibility, you had to get a job at 13 years old." He sighed. "Ev I want you to quit that job." He said.

"Which one?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"I took three jobs." I admitted.

"Ev." He sighed pinching the bridge of his nose. "Why?" He asked.

"I don't know." He shot me a look. "I'll go quit them." I sighed. I got up and got dressed and I walked to every job I had. The bar, car wash and my favorite job, the Dx. I started back to the place I now call home when I heard the roar of an engine. I turned and it was a blue mustang. I knew very well who drove that car, Bob Shelden. He pulled up next to me and his idiot friends grabbed me and pinned me to the car.

"Hey girly." Bob said. I gave him a look of disgust.

"Get out of my face Soc." I said spitting at him.

"Now that's not a way a woman should talk to a man at a higher status now is it girly." He pulled out a knife and held it up to my neck. "Well grecer, now it's time to learn your lesson." He went to cut me but I kicked him away and I managed to get my knife out from my pocket and I stabbed the guy who held me down in the hand and ran. Now I wasn't much of a runner but I ran for my life. I ran home and saw a familiar car parked outside. Dallys here. I closed my blade and put it in my pocket. I then ran inside and I jumped on the couch, landing on Dally in the process.

"Woah, hey baby." He smiled.

"Hi Dal." I rushed over to the window and looked to see if they followed me.

"You alright." I nodded.

"I quit my jobs." I sighed. "And baby?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah a little nickname I wanted to call you." He winked.

"Anyway you wanna go on that date tonight after Ella's party." I smiled. Dally smiled and walked over to me.

"Sure, but if you cancel on me again I'm robbing a store." He smiled. I rolled my eyes and played with his hair.

"I hate to break this moment, but can you take her? I need to use the bathroom." Darry asked. I nodded and I took her from him. I held my little sister.

"Happy birthday Ella." I smiled. She smiled and reached for Dally. He held up his hands and chuckled.

"No kid stay with your sister." He said.

"Wow, rejecting a baby, how cold Dallas Winston." I smirked.

"Well you know me." He winked. "Well how old is the little monster today?" He asked.

"The little monster is one years old." I smiled. He nodded and handed me a tiny box. "What's this?" I asked.

"Her present." He said. I handed it to her and she figured out how to open it and it was a saint Christopher necklace that resembled his. "It stands for protection." He smiled.

"Thank you Dal." I pecked him on the cheek and Ella reached out for him again. I gave him a look and he sighed. He took her from me and held her close. She smiled and played with his necklace. "You wanna put it on her?" I asked handing him the necklace. He nodded and put it around her neck. She looked at it then at Dally's. She then looked at me. "Dal is that silver?" I asked. He nodded. "Where did you get that necklace?"

"I found it at a store and I bought it for free." He smiled nervously.

"You stole it?" I asked, not surprised. He nodded. I sighed. "That's my boyfriend." I kissed his cheek and I walked into the kitchen.

"Wait I stole you one too." He said. I turned and he handed me the one around his neck.

"Babe, that's yours if anyone needs to be protected it's you, since you get in all this trouble." I gave him a soft smile.

"Look in your pocket." He smiled. I raised an eyebrow and I pulled another necklace from my pocket.

"Where are they coming from? Are they multiplying?" I giggled. He chuckled and shook his head.

"So I can protect you and you can protect me." He smiled. I made an oh face and I gave him the one in my hand and I took his. I put it around my neck. It was warm and I could smell a hint of his callone.

"Well thank you, I will wear and treasure it forever." I smiled.

"I swear you two are the weirdest." Darry laughed.

"Hey Darry is water wet?" Sodapop asked while brushing his teeth.

"Nevermind he's the weirdest." We laughed and I shook my head.

"Well who's here?" I asked.

"The only ones missing are Steve, Two-bit and Johnny." Ponyboy said walking into the living room. I nodded. Dally and I sat on the couch and we let Ella watch Mickey. We waited a little longer and they eventually showed up. It wasn't really a party but more of a gathering and the boys gave Ella presents. The curtis brothers got her a pair of tiny converse. Two-bit gave her a Mickey stuffed animal. Steve gave her a toy car. Johnny gave her a blanket. And I was able to get her a small enough leather jacket for her. We had cake then we all hung out some more.