44

{Caleb}

Olivia and I sit next to each other at the table as my mother fills our plates with food.

'Caleb, how is Camila?' my father asks me. 'I never heard about her since you broke up.'

'Jack, not the right moment,' my mother hisses.

'She has a new boyfriend,' I shrug. 'But I never talk to her, so I don't know what she's up to.' It's not a secret that Camila has moved on and Olivia must know I'm not speaking to her anymore.

'Olivia, what are your plans after high school?' my mother asks her.

'I want to go to college,' Olivia explains. 'But I don't know which one yet. I'm still orientating.'

'Do you know what major you wanna do?'

'Not really,' Olivia admits. 'There is so much to choose from.'

'Caleb is struggling as well,' my mother says. 'But you still have a while to decide what you wanna do.' I nod and take a bite from my mashed potatoes. I literally have no clue what to do after high school. A part of me wants to go to college, but another part of me wants to travel the world.

'Olivia, have you heard about the upcoming snow storm?' my father asks her. 'I don't think it's safe to go back home tonight.'

'Snow?' I ask confused. 'It's barely November.'

'Well, they just said it on the news,' my father explains. 'They advised to stay inside.'

'She can spend the night here?' my mother suggests as she looks at Olivia. 'If it's okay with your parents, of course.'

'I think it's fine,' Olivia answers. 'But I'll text my mom after dinner.' I don't mind Olivia spending the night here, at all. She's done that loads of times, without my parents even knowing. I can't wait to fall asleep with her in my arms.

After dinner Olivia and I go upstairs again. She quickly texts her mother to let her know she's spending the night at my place.

The wind outside is making the roof creak which causes Olivia to jump up.

'God,' she whispers as she grabs her heart.

'Afraid of the wind?' I ask her as I sit down on the bed.

'I just hate wind,' she sighs and I grab her hand, pulling her onto my lap. 'I'm fine with rain and thunder and stuff, but wind... It's different.'

'You're inside,' I try to comfort her. 'Nothing can happen to you.'

'Yeah, until your roof flies away,' she mumbles.

'That won't happen,' I promise.

'I know the perfect distraction,' I smile as I rake my fingers through her hair.

'What?'

'Movie night.' I gently push her off my lap and get up. I open my closet and grab a hoodie that I throw towards Olivia.

'Put that on,' I say to her. 'Choose a movie. I'll get the snacks.' Olivia smiles and nods as she starts to undress herself. I quickly walk out of the room, before we never get a movie started.

As I walk downstairs I hear my parents talk, so I wait underneath the stairs to listen what they have to say.

'He seems happy with her,' I hear my father say.

'He does,' my mother says. 'But I'm worried that he gets hurt again. You know what Camila did to him, multiple times.'

'Honey, not everyone is like Camila,' my father says. 'And if something like that happens, it's a lesson for him. You have to let him live his life, Caroline. He's not a child anymore.'

'I know,' my mother sighs. 'But he's too good for this world. He forgives so easily and someday, it might kill him. Jack, I don't want him to get depressed because he's too nice for his own good.'

'Car, you're overreacting,' my father says. 'Caleb won't get depressed. That kid is full of life. Just because he knows how to treat a girl right doesn't mean it'll kill him. Have a little faith. He'll be fine. And if Olivia isn't the one, he'll find someone else.'

'You're right,' my mother mumbles. 'It's just... He's still my little boy.' I shake my head and decide to walk into the room.

'Just grabbing some snacks,' I say as I make my way to the kitchen. 'Olivia and me are having a movie night.'

'Sounds nice,' my mother smiles. 'Have fun.'

'Thanks,' I say as I throw a bag of popcorn into a bowl. I get something to drink as well and bring everything upstairs.

'What was taking so long?' Olivia asks when I get back into my room.

'Nothing,' I mumble. 'I was just talking to my parents for a bit.' I place the tray on my bed and lie down next to Olivia.

'Have you chosen something?' I ask as I look at the tv screen. Olivia nods and starts a horror movie.

The thought that my parents are worried about me is a bit concerning. I don't know how they feel about Olivia. What if they don't actually like her? Dinner went fine. My mother even offered for Olivia to spend the night. She wouldn't do that if she doesn't like Olivia, would she?

I decide not to think about it anymore and focus on the movie. I wrap my arm around Olivia and pull her closer to me. She smiles as she lays her head down on my chest.

'Why did you even choose a horror movie?' I laugh when Olivia hides her face in my hoodie. 'You're terrified.'

'Shut up,' Olivia mumbles in my hoodie before she looks up again. I chuckle and gently caress her hair out of her face.

'Did you really miss me this week?' she suddenly asks me.

'Yes,' I answer honestly. 'More than you can imagine.' She smiles and bites her lip before she kisses my cheek. I pull her tighter against me and kiss her head.

'I love you,' I murmur in her hair.

'I love you too.'