PATHETICALLY BEAUTIFUL LOVE

[Can be read as a standalone or as a PREQUEL to 'I DON'T WANT TO LOSE YOU'.]

"What the heck is he doing?!" Prachi threw her cellphone on her bed with great force, venting out all her anger on the poor device.

"Who does he think he is?! Does he think that I'm dying to talk to him!? And what is he doing, anyways?! I can bet nothing productive for sure!" She mumbled to herself, gritting her teeth in frustration.

She sat at the edge of the bed, folding her limbs in anger and disappointment. It was the third time in a row in two days that Ranbir hadn't received her calls. He hadn't ever done this to her. No matter how busy he was - eating, singing, playing, driving, walking, running, working, or even in the middle of any meeting for that matter - he had always received her calls earlier or at least had called her back for sure. But she didn't just know what had happened to him since the last two days, he was simply not talking to her. He didn't receive her calls and didn't call her back, they hadn't even met since two days, and to top it all, he had even rejected a couple of her numerous calls. She peeped outside her window, staring at the flawless beauty of the moon, shining in its most brilliant way in the pitch of the darkness.

"Why are you doing this Ranbir?" Prachi murmured to herself, glancing towards her phone.

After staring at it for an entire minute, she finally sighed, reaching slowly for it once again. Her one hand held the phone tightly, while the other played with her soft curls, her gaze fixed at the screen throughout. Her eyes lit up sparkling the brightest, as she felt her phone buzz once.

However, her fleeting excitement was once again replaced by the anticipation mixed with hurt as the source of her happiness turned out to be a mere notification. Disheartened even more than she had already been, she held her phone close to her heart.

"What has happened, Ranbir? It seems as if you've suddenly either deleted me from your contact list or from your life." Her heart ached at that thought for some unknown reason, while her eyes started to become moist.

"Everything was fine till two days ago. We had decided to meet but you didn't come. Your mom said you were going out with Rhea since she had returned after a long time. But we had plans, right? You didn't even call once to ask me. Didn't even inform. It's been two days! Two whole days! Without actually seeing you or even talking to you. It's the first time we've stayed without each other for so long. Don't you miss me? Will you forget me now that your childhood friend is back?" Her mind began filling itself with uncountable thoughts, many even being irrelevant, as she waited with her phone close to her heart to hear the voice which echoed day and night in her heart.

"Please, Ranbir. I miss you." She muttered as a warm drop managed to fall from beneath her shut eyes.

Suddenly out of the blue, the ringing of her phone broke her trance. She felt as if she had suddenly been surrounded by a brilliant streak of sunlight amidst the darkness around her as she saw the caller id. 'Baklu'.
Her spirits lifted and the tears were no more of sorrow. She immediately received the call.

"Hello?" Prachi spoke softly, not wanting to hear his mother's voice on the other side again.

"Hi." The voice filled her heart with butterflies.

"Hi?! Where have you been, Ranbir?! Do you have idea how worried I had been?! We had plans, right? But you! You didn't bother to call me even once! Meeting is still a far off thing! What in the world had you been doing anyways?! I had called you hundreds, no, thousands of times! But you! Not even received once! And how dare you cut my call? Have you any idea it's been two days since we last talked!? I had been so worried but why will you care!? I wonder what important work were you so engrossed in that you couldn't even take out two minutes for me! And here I am! Wasting my whole two days thinking about an idiot like you! Now will you say something? Or do you still not care?! You know what, I don't even know why I'm talking to you! I should do just what you had done! Bye!" She blabbered at one go, venting out all her frustration and anger containing some hidden pain that she had piled up in her heart since forty eight hours without her Ranbir.