ACCIDENT - 3

Abhishek's steps slowed at the mouth of the corridor, feeling a strange warmth in his heart as he felt a slight brush on his fingers of a strangely familiar cloth. However, witnessing the scene in front him, his feet did not allow him to stop even at the sudden increased beating of his heart.

As he moved towards the operation theatre with anticipation flooding his heart, his eyes witnessed some familiar faces, each one of them with horror reflected in their moist eyes. However, one particular face caught his attention due to the intensity of pain and terror reflected on it, as he rushed towards him.

"Ranbir!" The relaxing voice of the man whom he regarded no less than a father figure brought him back to reality, as Ranbir hugged Abhishek, his tears moistening his shoulders.

"What happened!? Where is Prachi!? And why are you crying!?" Worried more than he already had been, Abhi patted Ranbir's back, before pulling away in order to have a view of his dejected face.

"Ch... Chief they have...they have said that...she has suffered a huge blood loss...and...if we fail to arrange the blood within...within half an hour then she..." Ranbir trailed off, sobbing helplessly.

"Then she what Ranbir??" Abhishek asked with fear shining in his eyes.

"Then...then she might....lose..." Ranbir finally managed, not able to complete the sentence even after gathering all the courage he could at the moment, as his heart ached with an enormous amount of pain even at the thought of losing his love.

"Hey... Nothing will happen to her. Why are you crying!? I'm here now. I'll handle everything, OK? You just..."
Abhishek tried his best to calm the shattered person in front of him, as he suddenly got interrupted by the creaking of the wide door, revealing the nurse clad in a slightly blue outfit, who rushed towards them, as they rushed towards her.

"The condition is very critical. Doctor had already informed you that you have no more time than half an hour. Sir, please arrange the blood as soon as possible. Otherwise..." Informed the nurse, as Abhishek and Ranbir were about to ask her the same questions. However, she was cut in the middle by Abhishek.

"What otherwise?! Nothing will happen to her, Sister. I'm here now. What type of blood do you need?" Asked he, with an increasing fear in his heart which had gradually began spreading its wings due to the nurse's gaze, successfully revealing her worried expressions.

"We need B positive, Sir. Please arrange for it as soon as possible."

"It's already arranged then." Informed Abhi, as his heart got covered by a sudden wave of sheer relief.

"Sister, my blood type is also the same. Please accept my donation and do everything in your power to save that girl." Pleaded Abhishek, as a sense of utter relief washed over every other face present there.

"Ok, Sir. We'll try our best. Please come this way." Directed the nurse as he nodded his head.

"Relax. Nothing will happen to Prachi, alright? We all are with her. Have you informed her mother?" Said Abhi, consoling a broken Ranbir, placing his hand on his shoulder.

"Yes, Chief. She had come here right now. She was completely broken, Chief. Maybe she has gone to arrange for the blood. I'll inform her." Said Ranbir, remembering the shattered state of the poor mother only moments ago.

"Fine then. Take care." Abhishek patted Ranbir's shoulder twice, as he nodded, before following the nurse in the opposite direction. For the first time since what seemed like forever to him, a sense of relief dawned over his broken heart, seeing Abhi's fatherly concern for his beloved. As he placed his fingers on his closed eyes, squeezing them slightly, he felt a hand on his shoulder. Ranbir looked up, only to find his mother staring at him with teary eyes.