ACCIDENT - 4

'Abhishek Prem Mehra.' The mere words were enough to cover the minds of all present there with clouds of sheer confusion, as they stood there silently, every soul being too shocked to react.

Ranbir stared at Abhi with disbelief shining in his eyes, unable to contemplate anything that had just happened. The Kohlis looked at Abhi, eyes wide with shock, that had been born due to his cold reaction towards the shocking incident. Rhea just stared at him with utter shock on her face accompanied by immense fear in her eyes. The sheer wave of silence that had covered the entire area got pierced by the unexpected, firm voice of the senior officer.

"Mister Abhishek, we will have to arrest you." Spoke he, staring straight at the man whose face currently showed no emotions.

"What the heck are you speaking inspector?! Do you even hear yourself?! You know who he is?! He is Chief. My chief. He is the person who considers Prachi as his own daughter. He loves her and cares for her more than himself. I don't know why would anyone even think about taking his name?! Did the person really expect us all to believe this nonsense?!" Ranbir almost yelled, with an intense anger in his voice, as his mind simply refused to believe the audacity of the person.

"Look, Mister. We have to do our work. A name has been taken by the culprit, and we will have to arrest him." Replied the officer firmly.

"Really?! You'll believe a murderer and not my Chief?! He's....he's Abhishek Prem Mehra! You cannot believe a thief over him!" Ranbir yelled in disbelief.

"He's right. Inspector, I'm sure this man is lying. I've known my friend since years." Vikram supported his son.

"Exactly! And this man!" Ranbir held the driver's collar even more tightly, causing his unconscious head to slightly lift from the ground due to the force. "You! Get up! Tell them all you're lying! Tell them who's the real mastermind! Tell them that..." Ranbir's intense fury was cut short by a familiar bold voice.

"Stop it, Ranbir!" Yelled Abhishek at the top of his voice, as Ranbir looked at him in disbelief.

"But Chief! He... "

"I said Stop It!" Yelled he, before turning to the officer, lifting his wrists as he spoke.

"I accept my crimes, officer. It was me who hired him. I had paid him to kill Prachi for I didn't like her since day one. I don't think I've done anything wrong. You may arrest me."

"What are you saying, Chief!? Why are you lying?!" Ranbir interrogated with sheer shock in his voice, standing to his feet.

"Shut up, Ranbir! You won't say anything." Ordered Abhishek.

"Now that he has confessed himself, I believe you shouldn't have any problems, young man." Said the inspector to Ranbir, as the officers cuffed Abhishek's raised hands, holding his arms from either side, turning to take him away with them, while the others stood there, frozen with shock, for their minds could not make sense of anything that either the scoundrel or the man they had known since ever had just said.

However, one person who had been standing there with profound shock and horror shining in her eyes, complimented by tears of extreme fear that had began to roll down her cheeks the moment she had witnessed the brutality of her 'love' towards the ruffian, could not cease the overwhelming desire of running to the person she loved the most, as she saw him being punished for something he had not done. Something he could never even think of doing. Something she had done.

"Dad! No! Wait!" Yelled Rhea crying, running to Abhishek, before hugging him tightly, as the retreating figures had stopped moving due to her sudden cry of agony.

"You... You cannot take my Dad away like this! I... I know him! He has not done anything! He cannot even...he cannot even think of doing it!" Blabbered Rhea, holding Abhi tightly, crying inconsolably.