Chapter 44

"OK. I'm dumbstruck. I don't even know what to say." I told Damien.

"Oh, Jesus Christ. You broke her." Liam said from behind me. I looked at him with a raised brow. "Excuse me!"

I would have been surprised if he hadn't shown up. It's like that bastard has a radar for weird conversations to barge in on.

"Well. I'd never thought to see you at a loss for words. You always have something to say. So. What did he do?"

I looked back at Damien to see him palming his face. "Shut up and get out." he said.

"Oh come on. You're no fun." he sighed. "I'm heading out."

"To do what?" I asked. Curious.

He leaned close as if to tell a secret. "To cause trouble." he whispered with a devil's grin. I groaned.

He ruffled my hair and left laughing. "If I didn't still have a lot to talk to you about I'd follow him and kick his ass."

"Settle down, champion. He's being same old annoying Liam. Forget him. Now excuse me. I have some work to do." he said.

Oh no, buddy. You're not blowing me off. "We're going to talk, Damien."

"What's there to talk about! " he shrugged.

"My idea. Damein. Just hear me out. I spent all day yesterday thinking everything through. And then it hit me. The Arch doesn't do business with just the three of us here in Chicago. We need someone that has a great deal of importance but still far enough from the situation that his vote will be taken into consideration. "

" And who's that? Why haven't I heard of him. " Damien asked sounding intrigued.

" OK. Here's the thing. Two years ago I roomed with this girl. She was studying to be a nurse at the local college. She wanted to stay close to family. What I found strange was that she was literally not close with her family. Why would she decide to stay here. This close to them when she couldn't stand to see any of them. Late one night, drinking vodka she told me why. She was drinking, not me. Did I ever tell you that I don't drink. I hate the taste. Never could stomach it. "

" No. Nila. You never told me. And this isn't the time to. Get on with it. What did she tell you? And what the hell does it have to do with the votes. " He asked exasperated.

I tisked at him. " Be patient. Good things come to those who wait. "

"And bad things happen to those who stall." he retorted.

I smiled at him. "Good one. What was I saying. Oh, yes. Lydia. That's her name. By the way."

"You're doing this to annoy me aren't you?"

"Yes, I am." I patted his stubbled cheek. "I don't think you should ever shave you know. This look suits you."

He threw me a lopsided grin. "Let's move on. Honey. Get on with it."

"So Lydia has to stay here. So close to home for protection. She's not allowed to leave. If she even considers it. Her father freaks out. Turns out her father, Daniel Torres, is the vice president of the Silver Jack's Mc chapter here in Chicago. The Mc's main chapter is in New Mexico. It has many chapters through out the states and all of them are supported by the Arch. This chapter isn't any different. And this is why if we get their vote it's over for Xavier. "

A slow smile graced his face." You still have that girl's number?"

"Memorized it, actually."

"I knew I married you for a reason, Nila." He was starting at me so intensely I knew.

"You're going to kiss me again. "

"Is that a question or a command?"

"Kiss me."

"Yes, Ma'am"