Chapter Nine ~ March

I slip out the door the next morning and head down the stairs before Ellis has the chance to call up, alerting Sav of his presence.

He seems surprised to see me as I walk out the apartment building just as he is stepping out of his blue car, readying himself to alert my best friend of his arrival.

"Well, well..." He grins. "You seem eager."

"I don't want Savannah to know I'm spending time with you." I scoff. "That's all."

"Sure." Ellis smirks before turning and grabbing hold of the car door, pulling it open. "My lady." He gestures for me to get in and I roll my eyes with a grin.

"Who the hell are you?" I tease and he laughs, shutting the door behind me and walking to the other side, sliding into his own seat.

"You shouldn't be so surprised," he says. "I can be a gentleman if I want to be."

"That's funny, I'm not sure I like a gentle man," I bite back and he grins.

"For you, I'd be anything."

"Turn down the cheese or I'll get the fuck out of this car right now," I threaten and he laughs, stepping on the gas and accelerating away. "Where are we going?"

"There are three apartments in the city, and one slightly outside of it."

"Four places?" I exclaim. "I only set aside a couple of hours to spend with you," I say jokingly as he raises an eyebrow.

"I guess I'm kidnapping you for most of the day then."

*~*~*

"What do you think?" Ellis asks as we enter the second apartment, my eyes widening at the open space. Brick covers the back wall, a black, wrought iron spiral staircase in front, leading up to what I can only assume is the master bedroom. An old fashioned looking kitchen stands to the right, a touch of modernity within it, the lights above illuminating it with a crisp, white light.

A wall length window covers the left side, a sky-high view of the city causing a smile to spread over my lips.

"What do you think?" I retort and he shrugs.

"It seems alright."

"Alright?" I scoff. "If I had the money you'd be fighting me for this place."

"Is that right?" He grins.

"Look at this!" I gesture to the window. "This is incredible!"

"I guess it is," he agrees, stepping beside me and looking back at the agent. "When is this one available?"

"Right away," she replies before her cell starts buzzing. "Will you excuse me?"

"Of course." Ellis nods, the agent ducking out of the front door as I turn from the window, walking over to the green countertops, running my hand over them. "Do you like the green?" he asks and I grin.

"It adds character," I retort. "This isn't just your average city apartment. It has something to it besides white walls."

"Yeah." He nods. "Come on!" he gestures, holding his hand out.

I take a step towards him, furrowing my eyebrows. "What?"

"There's one room we haven't seen." Ellis smirks and I laugh as his hand curls around mine, ignoring the strange jolt of something in my gut. I knew I should have grabbed breakfast before I came.

Ellis leads us to the spiral staircase, both of us laughing. We run up the steep steps, stopping with a start at the top, the enormous bedroom housing one huge bed, a circular window to the right of it.