Chapter Twenty Nine ~ May

The loudest ringing wakes me up, and I shoot upright in bed, my heart racing in my chest, pure panic taking over at the sound. I can't think straight, the sunlight blaring through the windows, blinding me instantly as I breathe heavily. Holy fucking shit, what the fuck...

Turning my attention beside me, I see Ellis has also shot upright, eyes wide, hair messy as he looks around for the source of the sound.

It's my phone, it has to be. Sav changed my ringtone only two days ago because she was bored of hearing the old one. She probably giggled as she turned the volume up to full.

With a groan, I battle against the bedsheets, pushing them away from myself and untangling my legs before I fall, ungracefully, to the floor. I don't even have time to worry about what Ellis is thinking, instead crawling towards my skirt, digging into my pocket and grabbing my phone.

"What?" I snap as soon as I answer, knowing that it's either Haydon or Savannah bothering me this early. No-one else would ever ring me, no-one is interested.

"Miss Gordon? Becky Gordon?" the deep, unfamiliar voice replies. I furrow my eyebrow.

"Yes?" I answer as Ellis sits up further, staring at me from the bed. He looks ridiculously fuckable right now, and it's taking everything in me to not slam the phone down and jump on top of him.

"Savannah Hurst gave us your number. This is Ridgewater Hospital-"

"Wait, what? What's happened?" I instantly stand up, my eyes wide as Ellis jumps up too, sensing the panic in my voice.

"Please stay calm, Miss Gordon," he replies. "There's been a fire."

"What?"

"At Savannah's apartment."

"That's my apartment," I exclaim, hurriedly grabbing at the clothes on the floor. "Is she okay?"

"She's receiving treatment, but I believe she's fine. We are currently unsure about the state of Brett Winters."

"Brett was there?" I question, asking the man to repeat what I already know. Hell, I fucking told him to go over there.

"Yes. He was unresponsive inside the apartment. Savannah found him after she re-entered the building. She wanted me to let you know-"

"We'll be right there," I practically yell before pulling the phone away and hanging up, chucking it onto the bed as I grab my top.

"Bec?"

"It's Brett! And Sav!" I exclaim. "Get dressed. There was a fire."

"Shit," Ellis replies, turning and grabbing hold of his top from the floor. "Did they say...?"

"Sav should be okay. They don't know about Brett," I reply hurriedly as I smooth my hair down, turning to the mirror behind me. I'm an absolute wreck, hair out of place, make-up smeared, black eyes that are wild with panic. What if... what if one of them isn't okay? Oh my god, they've got a baby on the way...

"Becky." Ellis' voice pulls me out of my dark thoughts. "Don't go there."

"What?" I scoff, shaking my head and turning to face him. "I don't know what you mean."

"Yes, you do," he argues. "They'll both be fine. Let's go."

I take a deep breath before nodding. He grabs my hand, wordlessly leading me through his apartment as we head for the hospital. I'm unsure how to react, my eyes glassy and dry. All I can do is pray and hope for the best, beg the fucking universe that my best friend's family will be okay. She doesn't deserve anything less than pure happiness.