Chapter Forty Six ~ September

I've been sitting at the dark, wooden table for over ten minutes. The waiter has come and gone, delivering my pink cocktail before disappearing. I'm halfway through it, and there's still no sign of the blind date that Sav set me up on.

It's taken her a month to get me to agree to this, and in the end I only did it — 1. To shut her up, and 2. To give her and Brett a night of freedom before their baby arrives.

I didn't make too much effort, a plain black dress adorning my figure. I left my hair straight, my make-up minimal. I'm not fussed about getting laid, or even getting the guy to like me.

I still don't feel ready.

But Sav insisted.

I'll tolerate the guy for a few hours before shaking him off and slowly making my way back to the house, hiding out in the guest room and watching TV until morning.

Sav's been so insistent that I should get back with Ellis that I'm having a hard time understanding why she even set this up for me. She's accused me of moping around, begging me to give in and talk with him.

Shaking my head every time, the only reason I can come up with for Sav arranging this date is that she wanted me out of the house for the night.

Raising the glass to my lips, I take another huge gulp of the drink, enjoying how strong the Pornstar Martini is.

"Thirsty?" The familiar voice questions and I freeze in place before letting more liquid slide down my throat. Hesitantly, I pull the glass away from my lips and slowly place it down on the wooden table in front of me.

Nerves lick at the insides of my stomach as I try to calm my breathing.

"What are you doing here?" I ask Ellis in a quiet voice. I don't dare look up at him. My brain screams at me, utterly destroyed by the fact that Ellis is about to see me on a date with another man. Again.

Why does this happen every time? Maybe I should move back to Edgewater Valley. Ellis barely ever visits our hometown. It would be safe. Although, I know most of the men in Edgewater, and it's one of the reasons I never moved home.

"To see you," Ellis answers and I sigh, shaking my head.

"I'm busy, Ellis," I tell him, watching his navy trainer shoes as I keep my eyes low.

"Waiting for your date," he fills in for me and I squeeze my eyes shut. Busted.

"Yes," I admit, flashes of his sad face flicking across my brain.

"It's a good thing he's turned up then," he replies and I furrow my eyebrow. What? Where? Oh God, this is going to be some sort of pissing contest between Ellis and my date. I should have ordered a shot alongside this damn cocktail. Now I'm screwed...

"Are you ever going to look at me?" he adds and I shake my head.

"Nope."

"That's not a very nice way to treat your date," Ellis counters and I grit my teeth.

"Hopefully the ground will swallow me up before he gets here," I reply and he shuffles on his feet before the shoes disappear from view. Where did he go?"

"Too late," he tells me and I groan before slowly lifting my eyes. Time to face the music, Bec.

I'm shocked to see Ellis sitting across from me, no-one else in sight. I roll my eyes at the fucking prankster.

"Where is he?" I snap and Ellis raises an eyebrow.

"It's me, you idiot," he answers before smirking.

"You?" I echo. "Sav would never..."