Chapter Twenty One ~ April

I'm so jealous. Savannah just sent me a picture of her cheese and tomato pizza from her lunch with Alice, Brett's sister. All while I sit inside the kitchen eating an old apple. I'm salivating at the mere sight, the gooey mess looking absolutely mouth-watering, and extremely irresistible.

Fantastic. So not only am I missing out on edible delights, but I'm also currently experiencing the longest dry spell of my life. What a life you're living, Becky Gordon.

I'll deserve a damn medal at this rate. Don't get me wrong, there are worse things than having to give up sex for someone you might potentially be falling for, but at the same time, I've been exercising my right to bedroom fun on an almost daily basis since I was seventeen. I'm definitely suffering from withdrawal, the number of dreams I'm having tripling over the last week. That's got to be a sign that I need it, right?

It's a shame that I agreed with Ellis. Eventually.

My phone suddenly springs to life, sounding out loud and clear around the kitchen. Launching myself over to the side, I pick it up, unable to stop myself from smiling at the name on the screen.

"Hello," I say as soon as I raise the phone to my ear.

"You picked up!"

"How do you still seem surprised every single time?" I reply to Ellis, shaking my head even though he can't see me.

"I don't know. I'm trying to work away eight years of your rejection," he says and I roll my eyes.

"You brought some of it on yourself." I remind him and hear the sigh down the phone.

"We're heading into dangerous territory," he answers and I laugh.

"True," I agree. "Why did you call?"

"Is it a crime to want to hear your angelic voice?" he replies, a teasing hint to his tone.

"Angelic?" I scoff. "Shut up, Wakefield. No fucking cheese."

"But I know how much you love it."

"You're fucking irritating."

"You love it."

"Wanna bet? I can prove you wrong by giving up on this and going out to the bar tonight, grabbing the first-"

"Alright! Shut up!" Ellis cuts me off and I chuckle.

"Seems like you don't want that to happen?"

"I don't," he replies blatantly.

"Then put that fucking cheese back in the refrigerator," I tell him, looking around and grabbing hold of the fabric from the kitchen side, walking back over towards the dining table where I've spread out more fabric and scissors than is possible to use. "What are you up to today?"

"Nothing. I was supposed to be going to a wedding but-"

"But? But what?" I exclaim, falling down into the seat with a thump. Who in their right mind turns down a wedding? Happy, joyful celebrations, with tons of alcohol.

"It's Brett's friend. One he used to play football with and... I didn't have a date," Ellis replies.

"A date? You literally didn't go because you had no-one to go with?"

"Yeah."

"What about me?" I press, sitting upright and digging my elbows into the table as I lean on them.

"Umm, Bec... you literally said you wanted to keep us a secret. Brett is not only someone that you know, but he's in some sort of complicated relationship with your best friend," he retorts and I grimace as I realize he's right.