Chapter Fourteen ~ April

Stumbling out of my bedroom, I furiously rub the sleep out of my eyes before glancing over at the clock. Ten! Fucking hell, Sav didn't wake me up before she left for work.

I was up until two finishing another order for a girl's birthday party. Who knew that fifty bright pink bows would be the perfect gift for everyone attending Crystal O'Haigh's sixth birthday party. And who the hell even has fifty damn friends?

I certainly didn't. At six I was running around with all the boys, not a damn care in the world.

Yawning loudly, I stop in the middle of the living room, stretching my arms above my head slowly before making my way towards the kitchen. I pull out the carton of orange juice, pouring myself a glass, my eyes falling to the newspaper on the side. Since when did we purchase paper copies of anything?

Reaching out I yank it over, and the newspaper slides along the slick wooden counter before stopping right in front of me. My eyes instantly spot the infamous Brett Winters, standing next to a brunette as she laughs, her hand on his bicep. Why the fuck did Savannah buy this?

My eyes drift lower, down to the headline, and I roll my eyes at the words, the retired football player and cheerleader apparently 'reuniting'. Whatever. Maybe I should let them know that Brett knocked up someone else.

I would never. Yet I know this article would have hurt Sav as soon as she saw it, despite the fact she's adamant she doesn't want to be with him. She's a damn liar.

A sudden knock on the door grabs my attention and I put my cold glass down on top of the paper, smirking at the water droplets seeping onto Miss Brunette's face. I move towards the door, quickly pulling it open, eyes widening at the sight of Heath.

"Oh!" I exclaim. Did I schedule some time with him today? I would think I'd remember that...

"The mailman came," Heath says with a smile. "I offered to bring yours up for you."

"You did?" I grin. What a gentleman. "Thank you so much!"

"Of course," he replies. "It was no trouble." He hands over the small stack of paper and I smile as I take it, looking down at the strangely cursive writing on the top envelope. I glance back up just as Heath is walking away. "Heath!" I call out. He stops, turning back. "Tomorrow?"

He grins. "What time?"

"This time? Ten?"

"I'll be waiting," he replies and I nod, watching as he grabs the stair rail, his large muscles tensing at the action, my mouth parting. Every time he does anything like that, I'm taken back to the times I spend in his bed, the way his muscles feel under my hands as he hovers above me. Damn, he is something else.

With a grin still plastered over my face, I shut the door, looking down at the mail in front of me. I shift through, past the Wayfair catalogue and Cake Emporium newsletter for Sav. Dropping them all on the side, I turn my attention back to the elegant handwriting on the first envelope, my name all loopy and fancy.

I don't hesitate as I rip it open, pulling the card out, eyes instantly widening at the sight. Well, fuck. A high school reunion.

For real? These people think I want to go back to that godforsaken school and relive my teenage years? No, thank you.

All I ever wanted was to leave all of them behind; Ashley, Phoebe, Brett, Liam, Chris, Ellis...

Ellis. Glancing around the apartment, I furrow my eyebrows as realization hits me. I usually receive my daily gift by ten in the morning.

*~*~*

"Really?" I whine to Haydon. "You think I should go to the reunion?"

"I think you should consider it," he replies. "I'm not interested in going, but you had a lot of history there."