Chapter Thirty Nine ~ July

February - 2020

"Thanks for letting me stay later, Bec," Georgia says to me as I walk with her down to the end of my road. "My dad had an important job to complete at the garage."

I shrug before sending her a smile. "That's what friends are for, right?"

"Yeah." She grins, reaching out and awkwardly hugging me. "That's right."

I raise an eyebrow, surprised that she's even admitted that's what we are. The girl constantly drags me down, making me feel like I deserve less than respect. Maybe I do...

"Well, I'm here for you any time," I promise her and she smiles.

"I do appreciate you," Georgia replies. "I know that I can come across as a bitch... I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it," I force myself to say. "I'm not every girl's favorite cake."

"Cake?" She smirks. "Are you turning into Sav?"

"That's probably a sign that I spend too much time with her," I admit and Georgia laughs.

"Definitely!"

Rounding the corner, I stop with a start at the sight of George Winters in a heated conversation with my dad across the street.

"Who's that with your dad?" Georgia asks, glancing at me as I shake my head.

"I have no idea," I lie to her, not wanting to know myself why he's so angry with Brett's dad. "I tend to ignore his rich businessmen friends," I attempt to play it off but Georgia eyes me warily. "Come on!" I tug on her arm. "Your mom will be waiting!"

Thankfully, she gives in, following me away from the strange image. As far as I know, my dad doesn't have any dealings with the Winters family, it makes no sense that I found them deep in conversation, let alone practically yelling at each other.

Turning back to the road ahead, I shake my head, focusing on walking Georgia back towards where her mom is picking her up.

*~*~*

Present Day - June 2028

I hit Brett on the chest as I slide back into the kitchen, having spotted my best friend on the stairs, ready to come down. He whirls around, pressing his finger to his lips as he glances at everyone in the room, all of them grinning before clamping their lips shut.

"Brett?" Sav's voice calls out and I notice him struggling to not reply, pursing his lips as she wonders where he is.

Within seconds she rounds the corner, her eyes slightly wary.

"Surprise!" I scream, my words overshadowed by the crowd around me, confetti falling everywhere.

"What?" Sav exclaims as Brett walks over, hooking his arm around her.

"A little baby shower for you." Brett smiles and I grab onto the confetti on the counter beside me, chucking it towards my giggling best friend. Ellis helps to hang up a banner as Sav's sister and Zara place pink and blue cupcakes onto the table.

"For me?" Sav echoes.

"Yes!" Alice exclaims, walking over and pulling Savannah into a hug. "Do you know anyone else who's pregnant?"

"Lots of people are pregnant," she argues.

"Well, we only care about one of them right now." Brett's mom grins, taking her turn to hug the pregnant girl.

"Thank you," Sav exclaims before letting her eyes wander to the counter beside me. "I need a cake."

"Of course you do." I smirk, reaching over before handing her a pink one. "Pink, because I know it's a girl."