Chapter Thirty Five ~ May

My ears are ringing, absolutely petrified as I shake. I can't bring myself to move, staring numbly out of the front of the car at the empty road, the man nowhere in sight.

Because he's lying in front of my car. Dead.

He's dead.

I killed someone.

The thought is enough to shake me out of the trance I'm in, quickly shoving the door of the car open and stepping out, tripping slightly on the even ground. I am somewhat aware of Ellis following in my footsteps as I grab onto the hood of the car for support, glancing around it at the motionless man.

He looks somewhat familiar, blood dripping from his nose, eyes shut as I set my own gaze on him. It's... it's George Winters. Savannah's fucking father in law. Brett's dad. I just mowed him down like he was a piece of fucking grass.

Looking up, I search for Ellis' eyes, instead finding Savannah and Brett. Both of them are almost hopping back towards the road. Savannah has blood down the side of her face, her arms covered in dirt and red stains, shaking as she looks at me wide eyed.

"Holy fuck!" I exclaim, despairing at whatever fucking situation we seem to be in. I look back at the road. "I just..." I trail off, unable to finish the sentence as I look back at my broken best friend, her appearance finally sinking in, the blood only terrifying me. "Savannah?"

"What the hell is happening?" Ellis snaps, walking around the car and gathering me into his arms. I'm thankful for the move, my chest heaving with shallow breaths as I try to calm down.

"My Dad just tried to kill us." Brett answers, his voice void of emotion as he looks down at the lifeless man.

"Shit." Ellis exclaims. "I thought you had a petty burglary or something. I called the cops like you asked man." The cops? When did Brett ask Ellis to call the cops? What the fuck? I shoot a glare at the man holding me, a look that he easily ignores.

"Thanks," Brett replies before turning to face Savannah, grabbing onto her. "Baby? It's okay."

"You... He..."

"I know," he says, hugging her close. "I know."

I look away, down at the ground once more, the sight of the unmoving body on the floor doing nothing but scaring me, terror clawing at my heart, threatening to tear it apart. "Did I just kill someone?" I ask, unable to look away from George.

"Bec-"

"Oh my god!" I wail, cutting Ellis off as my hands cover my mouth. Ellis stands beside me, attempting to soothe me with calming words. I take none of them in, instead the sudden wailing of sirens startling me, the cars appearing down the street within seconds, coming to a stop just a short way from us.

The cops step out of their cars and I shake my head at Ellis, stepping away from him with a determined look on my face.

"No, Bec!" Ellis hisses and I smile at him. I was the one driving the car. "Becky!" He grabs onto my hands. "I was the one driving!" he insists and I smile even more at his words.

"No," I reply, reaching up and letting my hand slip down his face. "I was the one driving, Ellis. I did this to myself."

Stepping away, I turn, ready to turn myself in to the cops, admit everything to them. I wasn't even paying attention to the road, I'm a fucking idiot.

Ellis isn't going to save me. I'm Becky fucking Gordon. I just saved my best friend from who fucking knows what, and now I will take whatever price there is to pay for it.

A sudden gunshot sounds out and I scream before another shot is fired. Cops springing into action, my hands flying up in surrender.

Looking to the right, I see the cops surround George's body, kicking a gun away from him. I look beside them, nearly screaming at the sight of Savannah in Brett's arms, sinking to the floor, blood seeping into the floor around her.