Chapter 16

Ryan’s POV:

Amber was so excited after seeing the house that it just brought a big smile on my face. I suddenly remembered the day when I bought this house and took the official papers of this property to Khloe, tied in a red ribbon.

She was eating cereal while sitting on the dining table with a magazine in her hand. I sat on the seat adjacent to her and passed the papers to her, smiling like a kid who had just won a lottery.

She looked at me and then at the papers before setting her magazine down. She took the papers in her hand and read the words with a frown on her face.

“Another property, Ryan?”, she asked sounding disappointed. Seeing her dismay, the grin on my face just disappeared.

“Khloe, this is a house in the bayou and you have to believe me when I say this, it is just too…different. Different than all the properties I have ever invested in. It could be our humble abode. It stands among the huge cypress trees in all its armour and also there is a small creek nearby. You should come visit it with me someday. I am sure you will love it”, I said while holding her hand, my eyes shining with excitement again. She huffed before getting up from the chair and said while moving towards the kitchen, “I hope you don’t regret buying it later. I can’t imagine sitting in a mud and straw house amidst muddy land which would probably be a breeding ground for mosquitoes as well. You can go there as much as you like but don’t ever force me to come to your ‘humble abode’. I am not at all interested to be a feast to the mosquitoes there who haven’t been served well in what? A hundred years? ”

I was brought out from my thoughts when I head Kyle giggling. I looked at him to see the source of his sudden outburst that caused him to hold his stomach in the process.

And what I saw next, made me laugh too. Amber was lying in the muddy land on her back.

I made my way towards her while tittering like a kid. She glared at Kyle before looking at me and then said, “Will you just stand there mocking me or do you have any civilness left to lend a hand to the needy?”

I stuck out my hand to help her up from the greasy mud. She placed her palm in mine but instead of getting up from her sitting position she pulled me down with her.

In my defence, it was so sudden and unexpected that I just couldn’t stop myself from being pulled by a petite girl with the strength of a cat. I scrunched my nose while looking at my clothes that were now covered in water and mud.

I looked at her disgustingly but she was just sitting there, laughing while holding her stomach, finding everything so funny. I wanted to scold her for ruining my favourite Armani suit but after looking at her smiling as if this were the best thing to happen to me, I couldn’t muster the courage inside myself to ruin that beautiful smile that spread across her face.

I sat there, facing her with my hands on my knees while she took some mud from the ground and covered the front of her cardigan with it. I looked at her with a question mark on my face as to why was she destroying her cardigan when it was actually not at all stained from the front.

She just smiled at me and said, “I do need to wash it even if it is not stained from the front so why not make the most of it!” With that, she got up from the ground and ran behind Kyle.

I smiled at her while she was running all around the place in an attempt to catch Kyle. There was a small rock that was the reason of Amber’s victory.

Kyle tripped over it and in the next moment Amber tackled him on the ground. She hugged him until the mud on her clothes were transferred to Kyle’s.