Chapter 28

Ryan’s POV:

Khloe looked at me with pure rage in her eyes. “What was that, Ryan? Have you lost it?”, she asked me while taking her wine glass back from the counter and gulping the entire red liquid in one go.

I laughed hysterically at her words before tears threatened to flow down my eyes, “What is wrong with me? Is this all you have to say to me? Why don’t you tell me about why did you lie about that baby in your belly?” Khloe looked like a deer been caught in headlights before she regained her ‘no-bullshit’ attitude and said to me with a look that made me think if I was a fool for even asking her that, “What are you saying? Are you out of your mind? Why would I lie about our baby to you?”

I sat on the counter while she tried her hardest to pull me back in her trap but this time I wasn’t going to believe her because I knew the truth. I looked at her waiting for something meaningful to spill out of that smart mouth of hers but nothing else came.

I was losing my patience with every passing minute so I knew I will have to break it to her, myself. I scrubbed my face with both my hands before taking a deep breath and said, “Khloe, I know that baby isn’t mine. You told me that we tried at the night of the mayor’s party, right? But I was with Logan that night smoking pot and getting shit faced in my penthouse in New Jersey. How could you forget this detail while you were trying to lure me in your trap? Don’t you remember that you came to pick my sorry ass the next morning with your current conquest, Charlie Holmes? Did you seriously think that I would never get to know about this? Okay now, let me guess! I don’t think you would take this big a chance if you would have remembered that I was not even with you that night, let alone making a baby with you. So I come to this conclusion that you actually forgot about me not being at home with you that night and because of such carelessness on your part, you just lost a eligible candidate who could have helped you raise your child. How stupid Khloe! I didn’t expect this from you. You should have played smarter.”

I held the wine bottle that was resting on the counter next to me and took a huge gulp to drown myself in the truth of the statements that just came out of my mouth. Khloe took two steps back from where she was standing and rested her hands on the counter while tears streamed down her face.

She buried her head in both her hands and started crying loudly. I had even lost the basic gentleman gesture of handing a napkin to a crying somebody when it came to Khloe.

I just wanted to hear why she did it and get done with it. She cried for what seemed like an hour before she took a tissue from one of the cabinets and wiped her eyes with it.

“Speak”, I said while taking another sip from the wine bottle. “You shouldn’t be drinking that much”, she said while taking a step forward as if to retrieve the bottle of wine from my hand. 

I held a finger in the air as a signal to stop her from coming any closer and said with venom in my tone, “Don’t act as if you give a flying fuck if something were to happen to me this very moment. Now stop that drama and start speaking.” Khloe wrapped her arms around her stomach as if protecting herself from my wrath and said slowly, “I am sorry, Ryan. I am so sorry. And yes, you are right. This baby isn’t yours. It is Charlie’s.”

I folded my arms across my chest and said again, “Wait, let me complete that sad story for you. You must have told him that you are pregnant and that dick must have denied to accept either you or the baby. So, knowing that you have me permanently on stand-by, you came to me, claiming that the baby was mine. Did I get this right?” She nodded her head in denial while more tears ran down her cheeks.

“Yes or no, Khloe?”, I shouted, causing her to jump a little in her place. “Y...yes. But l…let me explain, Ryan”, she said while becoming a stuttering mess.