Chapter 30

Amber’s POV:

“What the fuck is a Lancashire Hotpot?”, I asked Ethan while scrunching my nose. Ethan smiled at my reaction before saying, “It’s a lamb stew.”

I looked at him with my eyes wide open before asking him, “How do you know that? Have you been here before? When did you come here? The most important question is with whom did you come here? And where was I when you were here?” Ethan laughed while throwing his head back and I couldn’t help but smile awkwardly at him, clearly embarrassed of my impatience.

“Jesus, Amber. I never came here. You remember my aunt Amelia from England? She used to make it for us whenever we visited her. It’s actually a British dish”, Ethan said while taking a sip of water from his glass. I shrugged at him while biting my lower lip and focused my attention back on the menu.

I stared at the menu for another few minutes before giving up on my ability to understand a single word written in it and dropped it on the table. “I give up, okay? I don’t understand any of the names in there. What the hell is a garbage plate? Is that even a real name?”, I said while throwing my hands up in the air.

Ethan took the menu from the table and in the next ten minutes he had already ordered the dinner for us. “Who are you and what have you done to my bestfriend Ethan? He was just as dumb as me and you Mr. , you figured that quantum physics kinda menu in a blink”, I said while folding my legs at the knee and trying to keep a serious look on my face.

Ethan leaned towards me while resting both his hands on the table and said, “Did you forget that I wanted to become a culinarian before I discovered that I am more passionate about designing?” I shook my head in remembrance and pointed a finger at him before saying, “Oh yes! Then lets forget that I ever said anything pointing towards you being remotely intelligent.”

He kicked my foot under the table and a yelp just slipped out from my mouth. The next one hour passed quickly while we busied ourselves in devouring all the delicious food that was served on our table, sipping the ‘cat’s pee on a gooseberry bush’ wine while I tested Ethan’s knowledge on some more weird dish names on the menu and laughing like idiots while looking at the people around us who looked and acted like robots trying to hold a conversation when all they really wanted to do was just go home, drink beer and watch a movie.

I knew that the wine was doing its magic because suddenly everything seemed just fine. Life can be good and Ethan never failed to remind me this.

Ethan made me realize one thing that day and it was that shit happens but you just need one person who helps you to see the good things past them. Life never stops for anybody and the best thing to do is like Ethan said, put on a happy face and let your smile handle the rest.

Ryan had still crossed my mind a million times in the entire day and I seriously had to hold back my tears when I saw a couple sitting on the table next to us, kissing. Ryan and I weren’t couples, infact I didn’t even know if he felt the same way for me but whatever it was, it felt like home.

We left the restaurant around 9:00 at night and a huge smile was plastered on my face. I stopped Ethan from walking any further and hugged him tightly.

“Thankyou, Ethan. Thankyou for never leaving me alone. I don’t know how I would have handled everything if you weren’t here with me. Thankyou for being the brother I never had. I had an amazing time today at the restaurant. Everything that you did for me today just made me feel like a spoilt princess. I love you so much”, I said while tears spilled down my cheeks. Ethan caressed my hair slowly before saying, “You mean the world to me, Amber. I would have spent everything that  I had if it would make you smile. I will always be there for you no matter how many people come and leave. Stop crying now. You are ruining that pretty face.”