9

Angel

"Sweetie what's wrong? Why are you still crying?" Mom asked, hugging me.

"I don't want to be here anymore."

"Where? Living with Peter and Blake?" She asked.

"No! Alive on this planet. I wish I would've stepped on that land mine instead of dad." I mumbled the last part, not quite believing I said it myself.

Mom gasped, then bent down so we were eye level, considering she's much taller then me. "Don't you ever say that. Where is this coming from?"

"I feel partly dead on the inside mom." I wiped a tear away. "The only part of me still living is here to keep you happy."

"Oh...honey." Mom was crying now too. Then she hugged me tighter. "You need to make yourself happy. Don't worry about me! I'm a grown woman I can take care of myself. I tell you what, we're going to get you an amazing therapist so you can work out your issues...okay?"

A therapist probably seemed like a great idea to her, but to me it was pointless. Did she not hear what I just said? I felt dead. Nothing can bring me back from the empty black pit that is death. Instead of saying this though, I just nodded my head. She handed me a bunch of paper towels so I could wipe my face, and then we both washed our hands and went back to our seats.

The dinner was tense to say the least. Everyone was in somber moods, even Peter for some reason. We all basically picked at our foods, and then when it was time to go we just stood around awkwardly.

"So...Peter and I have movie reservations. Blake could you take Angel home with you?" Mom finally said.

I wanted to scream and tell her no. Please don't leave me alone with that maniac! I eyed Peter, and he seemed to have the same worry in his eyes that I felt. But he didn't say anything, just sucked his teeth and looked away. What was with him?

"Sure." Blake said, his voice a higher octave than it was all night. Finally he would have me alone...like he wanted.

Then, after we paid the bill we all went our separate ways. I tried to walk a good distance from Blake, and he stayed behind me respectfully. Though I figured it was just an act and he'd be violating my personal space as soon as we were in private. I sank down into the comfortable passenger seat, like I had grown so accustomed to, and then I instantly started staring out the window. Hopefully, he'd just leave me alone.

Blake pulled away from the restaurant smoothly. It was so quiet...dangerously quiet. I just knew whatever happened was going to be bad. I mean, I almost exposed him tonight for crying out loud. The only reason why I didn't was because I could see how happy mom was with Peter. I didn't want to ruin their marriage. I just didn't want to be around Blake all the time. 

Once we got to the house, I didn't run from the car like I normally would. I walked to the front door, taking my time. I didn't care what Blake did to me anymore, I just knew he was going to do something so it was best to just get it over with. I put the key in the hole, and unlocked the door. Then I walked to the living room and sat on the couch just anticipating the confrontation.

He came in not too long after, just staring at me. He had a blank look in his eyes. I couldn't figure out what he was thinking, or even what my punishment would be; which was stressing me out even more.

"Just do whatever you're going to do!" I spat. "I'm sick of being scared of you! Do it! You...monster!" I was screaming now.

He walked up to me, so quickly that I almost stopped screaming. It scared me slightly, but I continued with my rants. "I hate you! You're a fucking monster, I hope you die!"