25

Blake

The light of day was finally starting to break. It was probably around six o'clock now which meant I had about nine or ten more hours to get where I needed to go. I glanced at the flashing light on the dashboard, which told me I needed more gas—and soon.

I glanced at Angel from the review mirror, she was still tied up which was one less thing for me to worry about, and now she was sleeping peacefully. I sighed, this worked out perfectly.

I got off on the next exit and pulled into a small rinky dink gas station. I stopped as softly as I could, trying my hardest to avoid waking her up. I could still hear her soft snores, so I hurriedly got out and paid for gas, got us a few snacks, then returned.

Once I got back outside, I heard screaming. It was muffled, but I could hear it. Then when I got closer to the car, I could see it was Angel. She was banging on the windows with her bound hands and yelling to the top of her lungs. I opened the car door, anger and fear controlling my actions.

"Shut up Angel! Do you really want to die here?"

She looked at me with so much hate in her eyes, and then she kept screaming. After that, I was forced to shove the rag back into her mouth, not too deep though so she didn't choke on it. That would suck if she died before we reached our destination. After that, I laid her back down on the long seat, while she continued trying her hardest to kick me.

"Stop it bitch." I whispered.

Then I closed the car door again, after throwing the little snacks and groceries into the passenger seat. Once I did that, I pulled the gas nozzle from its spot and placed it inside of the filler tube. The car seemed to suck up the gas like it was hungry, and pretty soon I had a full tank of gas again.

Once I finished filling us up, we were off again. I was trying my hardest to get completely across the country. I didn't want to be anywhere on the east coast, so I decided we'd go so far west coast that nobody would even know to look for us there. So far, I was pretty much right in the middle of the country, Kansas nearing Colorado. I wasn't exactly sure what state I wanted to stay in yet, but I would know once I got there.

Suddenly I heard her coughing again, which meant she spit the rag out of her mouth. I rolled my eyes, I needed to get some sort of heavy drug to keep her asleep. That way this road trip could go much easier.

"Angel...please don't start again. I'm already tired as it is. I don't have the time to keep arguing with you about petty things."

She was silent for a moment. I was watching the almost deserted, never ending stretch of road, just anticipating what bad thing she would say next.

"Petty?" She said finally. "My life is petty to you?"

"No." I sighed. "I think these arguments are petty. We're going to be together forever and that's that."

"But Blake..." I hated the way she said my name. "I want to go home."

"I AM YOUR HOME." I yelled. "Wherever I go, that's where you will be. Are you hard of hearing? What don't you understand?"

"What don't YOU understand?! I don't want you anymore! What we had was in the past, you made your bed the moment you tried to kill me."

"That's what you think? That I tried to kill you?"

She didn't respond, which angered me even more.

"I wasn't trying to kill you Angel!" I said. "I was just...angry. I didn't even feel like myself. All those things that happened...isn't something I'd do."