10

Angel

The funeral was a drag. Mom looked pretty enough, the funeral home managed to cover her bruises and did something nice to her hair. They dressed her in a nice black gown and added some nice makeup to bring some life to her face. I was just glad when they finally lowered the casket into the ground though. The funeral was way too long, and the quicker they got her into the ground, the quicker I could go home.

Sure I was initially sad at her death, but death is unavoidable. We all go one way or another, so I stopped crying eventually and managed to put up a strong front. People seemed to almost be confused at the lack of emotions I showed, knowing I was her daughter and all; but I couldn't muster a good excuse as to why I wasn't crying or banging against her casket dramatically telling her to come back to me. I just avoided their curious gazes and tried to get through the funeral as best as I could.

Everyone gave their condolences, patting my back and telling me to call if I needed anything. But I didn't need anything from anyone. I just needed one person.

I glanced at Blake who was talking to an elderly woman, he was chuckling and looked awfully chipper despite this being my mother's funeral. I walked to him, trying my hardest not to allow my heels to stick deeper into the grass with each step.

"Hey Blake." I said.

"Excuse me ma'am, it was lovely talking to you."

The old lady walked away, saying she enjoyed speaking to him too with a huge smile on her face. Apparently he made her day better.

"How you feeling kitten?" He asked, rubbing my shoulder with his warm hands.

"I'm just...ready to go home."

"I could imagin—"

"With you."

He tilted his head, almost confused. "Well of course you're going home with me."

"You don't understand." Then I brought my mouth to his ear and whispered. "I want you."

When I pulled away he was biting his lip, and his once confident composure was now gone. He looked completely bothered, and it made me feel good that I had this much power over him.

"Hey kids." Peter said suddenly, interrupting the moment we were having. "How you feeling Angel?" He asked.

"I'm okay." I replied, my eyes never straying from Blake. I don't know why or how this sudden switch in me happened, but unexpectedly Blake was the only thing I wanted and the only thing I needed to live for. Ever since our conversation happened two days ago, I found myself completely and utterly in love with him.

"Angel, I just wanted to let you know your mother and I went through all the steps of making our family official. She legally adopted Blake before she died...and I legally adopted—you." He swallowed. "But if you're...uncomfortable living here then I can send you to live with your cousin, the one your mother was telling me about. She couldn't make it today, because she was having a baby or something, but she said she'd be happy to take you"

I rolled my eyes. No way would I stay with cousin Nancy. Her boyfriend was atrocious and condescending, and she was too stuck up despite her not ever even having any money, or anything to her name. I shook my head violently.

"I want to stay here. With you guys."

Peters eyebrows scrunched, he was clearly confused. "Are you sure? I thought you wanted to get away from your...bully?"

"Dad." Blake said, his voice low and dark.

They stared at each other, having an unspoken showdown. I cringed, I wished I had never said anything that day at dinner.