28

Angel

"What are you doing?" I asked. It was early, around six, and we had to be out of the motel by ten or else we'd be charged for another night.

His head was bent down, while sitting at the old, and worn out wooden desk, staring at a newspaper. "I'm looking for a place for us to live." He replied, then flipped the paper with a huff.

"You mean you don't already know?" I continued.

To me, this was a good thing. If he had absolutely no clue where we were going to be living, then that meant another few days of driving around aimlessly on the highway—which also meant we were bound to get caught eventually. I mean, how hard was it to find an eighteen year old boy, kidnapper?

"No I—mmm." He sighed, cutting himself off.

"What?"

"There's an article in here about those people that I...well you know."

I looked away then, remembering their deaths made me want to go ballistic on him all over again. But if I was going to escape from him, and stay away, then I had to do this the smart way. I couldn't just find something random in the hotel room and hit him over the head with it, because he watched me like a hawk. I couldn't strangle him with my ropes in the car, because then there was a strong possibility we'd both die and I didn't want that.

I couldn't include anymore innocent strangers, because Blake had completely lost it, and I didn't want anybody else to die because of me. This was now between me and him.

He'd die by my hands.

So, the best course of action was wait. Wait until he thought he had me trapped in his web, and then I'd strike. I'd get the kitchen knife, and stab him numerous times, in his neck, in his chest, in his back—anywhere that I knew he would be dead for good. Then I'd finally be freed from his reign of terror.

I just had to be patient.

Yesterday was a hard day...I couldn't be patient. Yesterday I was at the end of my ropes, and thought suicide was my only way out of this hopeless situation. But when he saved me, I realized he wasn't even going to let me die in peace. That was the least he could have done. He was going to keep me with him for as long as he possibly could. So I had to play this sick, twisted game—

his way.

"What does the article say?"

"Something about a vicious, cold blooded killer leaving them for dead without a trace." He replied nonchalantly. "But I'm not vicious or cold blooded, they were just...in my way."

When I remained silent, he looked at me, observing me with those cold grey eyes. "What are you thinking?"

"Nothing. When are we leaving?" I continued.

"As soon as I find a property for—oh I found one! It's just what I'm looking for!" He hurriedly picked up the phone and started dialing the number that I'm assuming was for the house.

"Hello?" He said. "I'm calling to make an offer on The Deluxe Ranch? I mean that's what it's listed as in the paper anyway. Can we set up a meeting today? If that's possible? Oh great, that's amazing! Thank you so much." Then he hung up the phone.

"Angel!" He said, jumping up. "We have a meeting today with the owner of this beautiful ranch style home that I've always dreamed about living in." Then he picked me up, and swung me around, his hands were holding me up by cupping my behind.

"Aren't you excited?" He asked when he finally put me down.

Obviously not. But I couldn't tell this madman that. I simply nodded my head, and trained my gaze to the ground so he couldn't see the frustration that I felt.