13

Angel

"Aren't you glad it's Saturday?" Candace asked dreamily, while she flipped through a fashion magazine.

Was I glad that I didn't have to see Blake at school today?

"Absolutely." I replied.

"So what do you want to do?" She asked, glancing over at me.

"Uh...I don't know. What did you have in mind?"

"I don't know. But I don't want your first weekend at Casa De La Candace to be...boring."

I rolled my eyes. Sometimes she was so dramatic. "Girl, it's fine. I'm having a great time. I'm just glad I don't have to hear my stepbrother and Alexis fucking like wild animals all weekend.

"Yeah, that's pretty disgusting. I would've thrown up. Better yet, I would've blasted loud music so they could hear, and stop."

"All smart ideas." I said laughing.

"Hey guys." Jayce said, knocking on the door.

"Come in!" Candace said, rolling her eyes.

"Mom said dinner is ready." He looked at me bashfully, then left the room.

"God, he's such a dork."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"He has the biggest crush on you." She replied, then went to close her door.

"Well...he did ask me out. I would've said yes; I don't know why I said no actually." I sighed. "I think I'm just scared to get into a relationship. With Jayce, he's such a good guy and I could see something real with him."

"Wait...do you have feelings for my brother?" She asked.

Did I? I didn't think I did, but just seeing how sweet and normal he was, was so endearing. He was exactly what I needed, a nice and normal guy. But I didn't want to play with his feelings, I knew it would be impossible to date him with Blake lingering around.

"No...no nothing like that. I just think he's a good guy. Any girl would be lucky to have him." I replied. "Let's uh—go eat."

"Good idea." She replied.

I could hear Candaces parents downstairs laughing before we even reached the dining room. They both were nice people, and I could understand how Candace and Jayce came out so great. Not to mention both of their parents were beautiful, and could've modeled in their prime.

"Oh hey." Candace said, once we reached the dining room. I was too busy staring at a beautiful painting that caught my eye to even realize what was happening or who she was saying hey to. "Angel, you didn't tell me your stepbrother was going to be here."

My what?

I almost broke my neck to look and see what she was talking about; and there he was. He was sitting at the table eating steak and potatoes and laughing like he didn't have a care in the world. Then he looked at me, and it felt like time stopped.

I had never understood him so clearly just by looking at him. He was angry with me, that much was obvious; but he was more scared then angry. He wanted me to come home, but knew he couldn't just drag me out of this house. These people would surely call cps on our situation, which meant he would never be able to see me again.

The best way to sum it up was, he was desperate. Extremely and utterly desperate. He's sorry too.

I couldn't care less, I took a seat across from him and next to Jayce; then I smiled politely. "I didn't know he was coming Candace.