19

8 Months Later

Angel

"Oh come on Angel, you're seventeen—live a little." Yasmine, my best-friend said.

I eyed the bottle of liquor, when she brought it to my nose. I almost puked at the smell of it, it reminded me of pure, rubbing alcohol.

"Yasmine, I don't want that. It'll destroy my liver!"

She rolled her eyes then giggled. "Oh come on, you're not going to have fun at this party until you take a few drinks."

"Don't you have something that doesn't taste awful? Like a margarita or something..?"

"Fine. I don't know, I'll go check and see." She stood then, and pulled down her green long sleeved crop top—which seemed pretty pointless to me because her mini skirt left little to the imagination.

"And leave me here?"

"You'll be fine, I'll be right back." She said, then sauntered away, swaying her curvaceous hips as she went.

I walked to the bathroom, needing to get away from the tons of sweaty bodies that were all too close. They were grinding against each other, rhythmless, seemingly only wanted to push their bodies against others. I rolled my eyes—teenagers could be so horny sometimes.

I closed the bathroom door, and nearly passed out when the strong scent of cigarettes smoke and feces hit by nose. I tried my hardest to ignore the smell, then I glanced at myself in the mirror. A while ago, I wouldn't like the reflection that was looking back at me, that reflection was weak and frightened and broken.

But this girl staring at me now, was strong. She was a fighter who could get through any and everything. I brought my hand up, and used two fingers to trace the faint brown line on my face. It was barely there, but it wouldn't ever fully heal—it was the only reminder I had of the past. Sometimes I covered it with makeup, but sometimes I let it stay exposed—not caring if anyone saw it and talked about me.

I sighed then fluffed my hair, straightened my dress, and exited the bathroom. I glanced around looking for Yasmine, but of course she was gone again, nowhere to be found. The girl had the attention span of a small rabbit. I left the raging house party, trying my hardest to not get too sweaty on the way home.

It was summer, and the hot weather never seemed to stop. Even though it was nighttime and it was dark—the air still felt muggy and humid. I took a deep breath, but the air filled my lungs, making me cough.

"Geesh, what is in this air? Acid?" I whispered to myself.

Suddenly, I felt a chill cover my arms, creating goosebumps to rise and hair to stand up straight like I rubbed myself down with a balloon. I felt...uneasy.

I glanced behind me, watching to see if perhaps someone was following me.

But I was alone.

It's okay, you're only five minutes away... I thought, but that didn't make me feel any easier.

Then I felt a breeze touch my back, but it didn't come from the sky or the clouds. It felt like someone walked quickly past me or something. I looked back again, determined to find the source of these random chills, but once again there was nothing there.