24

Angel

Yasmine dropped me off at my house about two hours later, it was dark outside now, and I knew if I didn't get inside soon Vanessa would have an issue. No she wasn't my mother, however she did have a very specific list of house rules that she didn't like me breaking.

I didn't mind though, I just found it sweet that she cared about things like what time I get home, and what boys I go out with. It was just...nice having someone to care about you maternally rather then romantically like I was used to.

"Don't forget, you're picking me up tomorrow too." I said, slamming her car door shut.

"Yeah about that." She said, leaning against the console so she could speak to me from the opened window on the passenger side. "When are you getting your car? I love picking you up and all, but you're making me have to get up super early! It's cutting into my, me time."

"I'll get it...soon. Vanessa said she's going to look at some used cars for me."

"Aww, I know she's not your mom but honestly she should still be crowned mother of the year. Anyways, later girl!" She said, then rolled up her window and drove away.

"Later." I replied softly, waving to the car that was getting farther and farther down the road.

Once she was gone, I started the short trek from the curving driveway to the front door. Even though it was summer—almost fall—I got chill bumps on my arms. I glanced around, but the only thing I saw was the unmoving dying grass and the trees swaying softly in the nighttime breeze. I glanced up at the sky, the stars were shining as brightly as the moon casted a mystical glow against everything.

I sighed, then started walking faster. But then suddenly, I felt a hand cover my mouth and an arm wrap around my waist, holding me tightly, then pulling me.

Was I getting kidnapped?! I started kicking and screaming, but unfortunately my screams were muffled thanks to the large hand covering my mouth. I was trying to scream Vanessa's name, but I doubted even a nearby neighborhood cat could hear my cries.

"Shhh."

Someone whispered in my ear. "I'll let you go if you just shut up!"

I knew that voice, it was Blake! He let me go once I settled, after dragging me to a relatively private corner on the side of the house.

"What are you doing here?"

"What do you mean..?" He asked timidly, scratching the back of his neck.

"I mean why are you here? Did Vanessa invite you again while I was gone?"

"No...I've been waiting out here since three o'clock."

"Waiting? And nobody saw you? You didn't even try to talk to Vanessa?"

"No, I came here...to talk to you." He swallowed then shoved his hands in his deep pockets on his dark rinse blue jeans. "Where have you been anyway? It's a school night and it's almost ten o'clock."

"Talk to me about what? I've already said everything I needed to say. And none of your business."

"But, you don't understand—" Then he took a step closer to me—"I missed you. I need you."

I stepped away from him, trying to keep my heart from beating out of my chest. I was frightened and nervous, and confused the most. Was he crazy? Did he honestly believe that the two of us had a future...together?

"You need help. Clearly, therapy isn't doing it for you."

Then I started walking away from him, deciding tonight was the night I'd tell Vanessa about everything that's been going on. I figured it would be best to do it now before things got...out of hand. When my back was turned, he cleared his throat and said,