It's Time, Beam

Phana dropped his books on the table and rolled his shoulders to release tension. "What the fuck, Beam, I don't get it. Did Forth propose or not?"

"I don't know!" Beam snapped back. "Do you see a damn ring on my finger?"

Phana laughed. "Only you, Beam, only you."

Kit joined the group and eyed the frustrated Beam and the laughing Pha. "Do I want to know?" He shook his head and answered himself, "No, I think I want to eat my lunch in peace." He dropped his lunch tray on the table and started to eat, ignoring the other two boys.

"Kit," whined Beam, "Make him stop laughing at me!" 

"Beam," mimicked Pha... when he looked over at a group of freshies walking by.  A slender, beautiful boy caught his eye. He had a small, sharp chin and big eyes, with bright skin and looked so familiar. "Beam, look at that boy. Do we know him?"

Beam glanced casually at him. "Is that the freshmen? Which kid?"

Pha nodded with his chin to point out the boy with the sharp chin. "That one."

Beam took a second look and Kit, now interested in the conversation also looked up. "The one with the pointy chin?"

"Yes!" Pha hissed. The boy must have felt the gazes of the the Crazy Doc gang because he looked to the table. Pha met his gaze boldly and the boys nodded at each other. "Damn it," he growled, "I feel like I know him."

Kit looked at Pha, and smirked. "What does it matter, Oh Great One? Giving up on your high school crush and going after that boy? Are you finally going to break all the girls hearts by coming out of the closet?"

"Fuck off, Kit!" Pha said angrily, slamming his book closed. He stood up, gathered all his books and shoved them into his bag. "At least I'm not lying to myself like you do. I would have told Beam I loved him and took the chance."

Kit gasped, "Fuck you too, Pha!" Tears stood in the small man's eyes as he grabbed his bag and ran off in the opposite direction to Pha. 

Beam sat there wondering what in the hell happened when the small boy from the freshmen they were watching earlier came over, followed by a tall, dark boy. "Hi Beam, Do you remember me?"

Beam looked closely and started to laugh. "Wayo, isn't it? You were 2 years behind me in High School. You used to follow Phana everywhere he went." Beam waved his hand, indicating he should sit.

Yo gave a slight bow and slid into the seat recently vacated by Kit. "Let me introduce my best friend, Mingkwan. You might remember him from High school too."

Beam nodded. "I do, you two were inseparable. So both of you are attending University here?  What faculty?" 

Ming spoke for the first time, "I'm going to be an engineer. Yo is in Sciences, but hasn't picked a major yet."

Yo punched him lightly in the shoulder, "I can speak for myself, Ming." Turning, he looked at Beam. "You're just as handsome as you were in high school, Beam. I thought I saw the rest of the gang earlier. I came over to say hello but..." 

Beam sighed, "Pha didn't recognize you, Wayo. He thought you looked familiar but you have to admit without the glasses and pimples, you look way better. And you're a lot taller too. Still skinny but much taller. I think you're taller than Kit now."

Ming laughed, "See, I told you, Yo, you're cute. Say Beam, did Kit ever confess to you? It was a running joke back in high school if the two of you would ever go out together."

Beam crossed his arms and laid his head on them. From the depths, his voice came quietly, "Did everyone know about his feelings but me?"

Yo reached across and patted his back. "I guess so. It was so bad the last year before you graduated, that people were taking bets. But you never looked at boys, ever. Kit just looked at you with moon eyes every time you left with another girl."

Ming piped up, "A lot of girls offered Kit comfort cause he's real cute, but he turned them all down. He's a nice guy, underneath that mean mouth. People didn't gossip much about him, really. "

Beam lifted his head and looked at the two younger boys. "Thanks, I guess I need to have a chat with Kit now."

Yo placed his hand on Beam's arm. "Can you do me a favour? Can you..."

Yo was suddenly flung off of Beam and pressed against the table. A very angry Forth stood over him. Beam was tugging on his arm, trying to get him to let go. Wayo squeaked.

"Forth, let go. No violence, remember?" Beam yelled.

"Why is he touching my boyfriend?" Forth growled low in his voice. He was jealous and possessive and had no problems admitting it. Beam ran his hands down Forth's sides, up and down, slowly moving to the inside until Forth was wrapped in a secure back hug. 

"Forth," he whispered close to his ear, "I love you. Only you. Wayo is a friend from high school. It's a bit complicated. I don't need the whole food court to hear, okay?"

Forth nodded and backed up, letting Wayo up. He verbally apologized to Wayo and introduced himself to both boys. "Hello, I am Forth, Beam's boyfriend."

Ming was surprised. If Beam was with a boy now, would Kit finally be willing to go on a date? It was time to put his plan into action and land the man of his dreams. Or rather the man he'd dreamed of for the past 4 years... 

Yo looked at Beam and said, "Can I mention my favour now?"

Beam laughed, "Of course. If I can help, I will."

With a deep breath and in one fast voice, Yo spit out, "Can you please not tell Phana who I am? If he knows me on his own, that's okay. But I've changed, and I really don't want to be known as the little kid who worshipped him." His face was red and he knew it, but that was okay, Beam wouldn't know the "why" of it.

Forth held Beam's hand and looked at this cute kid, wondering at his story. He had a fragile look about him, one that made a guy want to take care of him. "Kid, if that's what you want, we can do that, can't we, Beam?" Beam nodded in agreement. "Wayo, if that's what you want, but remember, I can't speak for Kit. He knows who you are too."

A huge smile of relief broke out on Yo's face. "That's okay. Even if you stay quiet, that helps."

Beam reached into his pocket and pulled out his cellphone. "Here, give me your number. Campus is big, if you run into problems, either Forth or I can give you a hand." He eyed Wayo up and down critically. "What say you, Forth? Is he gonna be a target?"

Forth let out a belly laugh. "Oh hell ya, Princess. He's definitely a target. Come on, Beam, it's time." Pulling Beam's hand, he nodded to the younger men and walked hand in hand to Forth's motorcycle.

Ming looked at Yo and sighed. "That was Forth! He's the hottest senior in Engineering, dude! All the girls want him and all the boys want to be him. And now I know why! He's fucking cool!"

"Got a man crush, Ming?" Yo inquired dryly? 

"Yes, actually, I do... but it's not Forth." Ming muttered. "Come on, let's see if we can find the freshman dorms again. We don't have classes until tomorrow morning."