Fiance?

Sam sighed. "Oh Forth, do you know who Beam's family is?"

"Couldn't care less." Forth replied. "Did you throw me out of the house when you found out I liked boys? Well, they did! Sent a letter and everything. Even sent the paperwork forcing him to change his name so that he could no longer use his birth name. Dad, it pisses me off."

Beam was shaking so hard, hearing the painful details once again even though it had such a long time. Phana was right though, Forth was determined to marry him. Damn him for being right! Now he really was confused, he wanted to hide and cry out all of these messed up emotions without being seen...

Val nodded discretely to Sam, who took the hint and stood, "Forth, come with me."

"Yes Dad." Forth stood immediately and followed.

Beam sat miserably on the sofa with his head hung down and looked up startled when the couch dipped again. Val reached and grasped his hand gently. 

"Dear boy, have you really thought through all of this? What getting married at your age means?" She asked while patting his hands gently. "What this poor boy needs, is a mother's love and hugs," Val thought, "Didn't that damn woman ever hug him?"

Beam sighed, "Yes, ma'am, I have. I love Forth, very much. I knew what I'd loose by telling those people about Forth but the risks were worth it. I couldn't even go a week without him in my life. We both tried for a month and it was a total disaster." He turned and looked at her with tears standing in his eyes, "I hate feeling like this but I hated being without Forth even more."

Val couldn't take any more, she was a mother first and this boy's heart was sore. She gathered Beam in her arms and Beam broke. The tears came and he let out heart wrenching sobs that broke her heart as well. It was at that moment that she too didn't give a damn who Beam's parents were - they now were on her shit list.

This boy was good, he did not deserve to hurt like this.

As Beam realized that this was what he needed, to cry in the arms of someone who cared but did not KNOW him, did not LOVE him, he felt better. A stranger had the power to make him feel so much better about himself for they accepted him the way he was, not his name, or the wealth, his looks, just him.

He pulled out of Val's arms and wiped his tears, and reached into his pocket for the handkerchief that he always carried. "Thank you. I feel so much better."

Val smiled, "Call me 'Mom', after all, you're marrying my son."

Beam returned her smile, "Don't tell Forth that all it took was me soaking your shoulder." He joked lightly."

"Oh," She giggled like a young girl. "You've got MY permission but Forth has to get his Dad's. I have a feeling that is going to be much harder. Why don't we have a cup of tea now and you tell me about Forth's grand plan?"

Beam laughed again, "I can't because he never told me so this should be quite interesting"

Sam lit up a slim cigar and sighed, looked down at the cigar and said, "Boy, have you quit smoking yet?"

"Trying too, Beam's going to be a doctor and he doesn't like the smell of smoke."

"Ah," Sam fell silent and puffed on his cigar, enjoying it for a while. He walked over to the bench in the garden he placed there for his wife on their 20th anniversary and sat down. "Come here, boy, I'm not going to yell."

Forth walked over to him, looking at he garden paradise that was his mother's pride and joy. Her roses were stunning at this time of the year, but she had also incorporated fruit trees and native flowers as well. "Was there a reason we are outside, Dad?"

"Yes. I want to know why you want to marry now?"

"I love Beam. Isn't that enough?"

"No. You both can graduate first. If you still love each other in two or three years, then get married. Both of you are only 20 years old right now. Haven't you considered your feelings may change?"

Forth had always thought better on his feet, and now was no different. He stood up so he could pace and help organize his thoughts. Not to lie to his dad, but to help him explain the myriad of feelings in his heart.

"Dad, I feel things with Beam I have never felt before with anyone and..." he trailed off, not sure if he should talk about his wild times or Beam's. Then again, if he didn't, would his dad understand properly how much of a match they truly were?

So Forth tried again, "I haven't always been a good boy, Dad. Neither has Beam. We both tried to find that missing something in our hearts by sleeping around with a lot of people. In my case, I didn't care if I saw them again and Beam had a rule, he only slept with a girl one night, or girls one night. Until one weekend we broke that rule and spent the weekend together."

Forth kept walking in front of his father, never really looking at him. He just walked 10 paces to the right, turned and walked 10 paces to the left. His dad listened. It was what he was good at.

"I had screwed up during SOTUS and a bet was made. I didn't like the bet and told Beam, and Beam agreed to the compromise, but I wanted Beam so badly by the end. I thought Beam wanted me just as bad but he ran away before we could talk. When I saw him next, he was different. I didn't see him for a month and I was heart-broke."

Forth stopped to suck in a huge breath of air. It was as if he needed to talk now, like if he didn't, he would explode. "Dad, I cried over him. I stalked him but after a month, Beam gave me a ring and we've been almost inseparable except for when he went and saw his parents."

"I need him, like I need air. I can't think when he's not around me. If I don't marry him to help with his school expenses, then he will probably have to drop out and will miss this chance to be a doctor." Forth now exhausted, dropped on the bench next to his dad. He leaned against the solid body and sighed. "I'm out of school in 2 years. I can do it in 18 months and be earning a solid income, but Beam's got 4 more years."

Sam rarely showed affection, preferring to leave that to his wife, but he placed his arm around his son and gave him a half hug. "What if we say yes to you being engaged and no marriage until you're able to financially support your own spouse?"

Forth lifted his head off his dad's shoulder and yipped, "Beam won't let me pay his tuition then!"

Sam laughed, "I think he might take a loan from his future in-laws, son. Keep your savings, you'll need it for your first home."