[Chapter 18]: Faltering

First Person POV

In class 1-A there are never absences, but that is expected of the top students of the hero course in U.A. . To be absent in this class you either have to be dead or in a coma. Having two absences in one day was definitely unorthodox.

First of all, Mineta would never skip a day where he had a chance to prey on all of us girls. And Kirishima would never miss class either, he would probably call himself unmanly if he were to break his attendance streak. There has to be something wrong.

The class sat in silence for a few minutes as we waited for Izuku to return from the halls. Mr. Aizawa was basically asleep standing up as he leaned on the podium. No one spoke or made a noise. Only the faint sound of the ticking clock filled the room.

I felt around in my binder for the note that Bakugou wrote, but I could feel Uraraka's curious eyes still glued to me, so I paused briefly.

The sudden creak of the sliding door jolted everyone's gaze to the entrance. Izuku...and only Izuku sheepishly stepped in and sighed.

"Uh...Kirishima is in the restroom, he said sorry...h..he'll be out in a few minutes." His head lowered slightly; his fringe covering his cyan eyes as he shifted in place.
"I don't know w..where Mineta is."

"Thank you Midoriya...today is very important so we'll have to wait a few more minutes." Mr. Aizawa uttered boredly as he rested his hands back on the podium.

Something felt off about Izuku, I squinted my eyes at him as he approached. He looked all-around normal, but...his eyes had an intense glow to them as he inched closer.

I shot Izuku a soft smile as our gazes met. He returned a faltering smile before retaking his seat behind a half-asleep Bakugou. After a few more minutes filled with pencil tapping and slight whispers, the door slowly slid open once again.

"You're late..." Aizawa's gruff voice rang out as he stood up straight.

"I'm sorry...the breakfast I ate this morning didn't sit right with me." Kirishima's soft voice echoed through the class before my gaze landed on him and Mineta standing in the doorway. Kirishima appeared pale, almost sickly.

"Poor Kiri, you should've just stayed home."

"And you...?" Aizawa continued; his stoic gaze burning into Mineta.

"I...missed my train...I'm sorry..." His voice came out weak, almost a whisper as his gaze cast down to the floor.

"Alright take your seats and don't let it happen again..." Aizawa continued before both boys nodded and silently made their way towards their seats. Mineta didn't sneak a peek at one girl on the way to his seat, and Kirishima didn't even crack a smile in return to the wink I sent his way.

"Something's off..."

"Today's training will be a little different...." Aizawa spoke, causing the class to sit up straight in attention. My eyes lingered over to Kirishima as Aizawa continued speaking. 

"You'll have three instructors, me, All Might, and another instructor will be keeping tabs on you."

Multiple gasps rang out through the class simultaneously. I furrowed my brows intently.

"What happened while I was gone..?"

"Sir...what kind of training is this?" Sero blurted out causing my gaze to shift to him.

The Insomniac pulled a card titled rescue from the depts of his scarf and flashed it to the class.

"Rescue...you'll be dealing with natural disasters, shipwrecks, stuff like that." Mr. Aizawa announced nonchalantly causing the class to break out into excitement. I watched Mina literally light up upon hearing the words come out of his mouth.

"Disasters huh...seems like we are in for a big workout." Kaminari chimed in; rubbing the back of his neck slowly

"Totally!!" Mina beamed; throwing her hands in the air.

Kirishima remained still, with his head buried in his arms. Kirishima would be the first one to celebrate having the opportunity to participate in a rescue operation. He must really not feel well.

"I'm not finished..." Aizawa's tired voice silenced the class almost immediately.

I began to zone out as Aizawa explained the costume situation; watching Bakugou intently as I played with the note in my binder.

"He's acting like the whole gas station incident never happened..."

With a sigh, my gaze shifted to Izuku, he appeared very focused...more focused than usual.

"Something is off with Izuku also..."

Finally, my eyes landed on Kirishima, he still looked unfazed by the whole trip announcement.

"Why is everyone acting so fucking weird today...?"

"Alright get ready..." Mr. Aizawa dismissed the class.

Part of me wanted to rush over to Bakugou and sort everything out, another part of me wanted to question Iida about the entrance exam, and another part of me wanted to go comfort Kirishima. But knowing me I grabbed my uniform case and sheepishly ran off to the restroom; locking myself in a stall promptly.

Taking a deep breath, I pulled the small folded letter from within my binder and unfolded it.

"I need to talk to you about that purple-haired dumbass." My thumb slowly traced the surprisingly neat handwriting of Bakugou's.

"Toshi...?" I whispered to myself; furrowing my brows as I crumpled the paper and shoved it back into my messy bag.

"And for a second I thought he actually cared that I was alright..." I chuckled softly before letting out a tired sigh.

"What did that fucking bead-head do now...?" I thought as I began changing into my hero uniform quickly.

----------

I was one of the first ones to arrive at the courtyard, shortly after Koda and Aizawa who were already on the bus. I've never heard Koda talk, but I can just look at him and tell he is a kind soul. I sent him a soft smile before noticing most of the class emerge from the building at once.

Ignoring everyone else, I marched straight towards Bakugou who in turn flashed me an eye roll as I approached.

"Alright, let's talk," I whispered causing Bakugou to pause letting the crowd of kids pass. After Ignoring the snickers from Sero and Kaminari and nudge to the side I received from Uraraka, Bakugou spoke up.

"What's up with that weird-ass troll-doll bitch...are you guys dating or something...?" Bakugou spat lowly, causing me to frown.

"Hey...don't call him that, and no...we aren't...what's your problem with him?" I shifted on my feet as the ash-blond tched in response.

"What's my problem with him...?" Bakugou questioned gruffly. "The fucking kid made a whole scene at the hosp-"

The harsh ringing of a whistle rang out, causing me to shift my already agitated glare to no other than Mr. Know it All.

A/N- eh this chapter is kinda bad, but I've been writing it for weeks, I'll start updating more frequently now, I just need to get the USJ out of the way tbh. Thank you guys for almost 2k views, I really love the support. :)

Peace out ✌