Chapter 21

Thanks so much for 10K reads!!

I also wanted to thank @-cynicaloptimism- and everyone else who always comment on my chapters. It really means so much more than I can even put into words, it truly makes my day and I love reading them. So seriously, thank you to everyone that comments

This chapter took me forever to write and honestly, there so much going on. 

It's literally over 6,000 words...

**TW** offensive slurs, mentions of depression, suicidal tendencies, and other mental illnesses

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lucas' POV

"I'm so sick of all the lies, Lucas!" My mom yelled at me.

"W-what lies?" I asked her, "I have no idea what you're on about!"

I was in the kitchen with my mom and Kai was standing around the corner, he didn't want to intrude on our conversation and my mom was yet to notice him.

We had gone straight to my house after school since I promised to help Kai study for a test, but I wasn't expecting my livid mother to blow up at me.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about! I've done so much for you so why are you acting like this?" She was fuming, screaming at me but not telling me what it was that I did wrong.

"As I said, I don't know what you're talking about!"

She scoffed and folded her arms, "You don't know what I'm talking about? Then take a minute and think for yourself, what you might've done wrong. Think about it long and hard!"

I threw my hands in the air, "If you don't tell me how the fuck am I supposed to know!" I yelled back.

"Oh my god, Lucas!" She screamed, "Why can't you just take responsibility for your actions?!"

What the fuck was this woman on?

"I'll take responsibility but I can't do that unless I know what I did wrong! How many times do I have to say that, just tell me!" I was so confused.

"It's the lying, Lucas! The constantly sneaking out and not telling me where the hell you're going! Sometimes you don't even come home at all and I don't hear as much as a peep from you. All I want to know is that your safe, but here you are spending the entire night out doing god knows what!"

"But that's not all, no. I had to hear from Kalen of all people that you joined a fight club? Mad Dog at that. Do you know what kind of rumors have been going around about that place, that it was an illegal street fighting establishment that dealt with drug smuggling among other things? You are fighting against dangerous professionals and thugs and you didn't even bother to tell me!" Her hands were flying all over the place, her animated gestures expressing her frustration and anger.

"Mom! It's not like that, those are just rumors. And I promise it's not as dangerous as you think, I'm fighting with Kai so there's nothing to worry about," I sighed, "He's been a part of Mad Dog for a long time and can assure you that they really aren't involved in those kinds of things. All you had to do was ask me about what I was doing or where I was going, I would have told you," I rubbed my face, my anger dissipating. "I'm not doing anything bad I swear."

She clenched her jaw, "So then tell me, what is it exactly that's been keeping you out all night?"

I rubbed the back of my head, embarrassed by having to have this conversation with her, "I was with Kai. Sometimes I stay at Kai's place, okay?"