Chapter 22

Kai's POV

I held the dark man in a tight chokehold. He was struggling to move around as he was already battered up, but he still had strength left in his legs. He started pushing us backward and slammed me into the concrete wall of the pit.

We were of equal stature and he had put up a much harder fight than my last opponent. I hadn't taken any hard blows, but I knew I would have black and blue bruises littered across my arms from blocking his constant attacks.

He was using all of his strength to push me into the wall as our legs tussled below, both of us trying to trip the other and keep our balance at the same time.

I tightened my hold around his neck even more and he brought his hands up, grasping and tugging on my arms in a desperate attempt to loosen my grip.

I could feel the pressure from his fingers start to disappear as his legs slumped. He had passed out so I let go of him and the dark-skinned man fell to the floor.

Sweat was dripping down from the sides of my head and into my eyes. I licked my salty lips and tugged on the neck of my black long-sleeve shirt. This fight was too fast-paced for me to be wearing something covering this much skin. It was hot, but being hot and sweaty was better than seeing pictures of my scars all over social media.

My smooth black hair fell over my eyes and stuck to my forehead. I slicked my hair back with my hand, the sweat holding it in place.

I looked to my right and saw Lucas on the ground, our other opponent slamming his fists into Lucas' forearms as he shielded his face.

Lucas continuously attempted to flip them, kicking and kneeing the man on top but to no avail. I realized he wasn't going to be able to get out of it on his own as the guy, although shorter than Lucas, was the size of an amateur sumo wrestler. His heavy weight was trapping Lucas against the ground.

I ran the few steps over to where the two were wrestling on the floor. I gripped the back of our opponent's shirt with both of my hands and yanked with all of my strength, tossing him off of Lucas.

The second he was thrown back I spun and kicked the side of the large man's head. He fell to the ground as blood dripped from his hair and onto his face. He wasn't unconscious but his head was definitely ringing.

I grasped Lucas' hand tightly as I pulled him up.

He grunted as he found his balance, "Thanks."

"No problem," I slapped him on the back.

Lucas lifted his arms upward, inspecting the damage, "Damn, he was so fucking heavy, if he had stayed on top of me for too much longer I think he could've cracked one of my ribs."

We walked toward the middle of the pit, looking down at our beaten opponents, one lying unconscious and the other dripping blood, sitting after accepting his defeat.

The announcer scurried toward the center where we stood, grabbing our hands and raising them into the air.

"WE HAVE OUR WINNERS!!" He boomed into the microphone as the crowd erupted into cheers.

"It was one of the most intense fights we've seen so far during Doubles with both teams trying to overpower the other! But in the end, William and Elijah both succumbed to Mad Dog's most popular team!!" He set our hands down and turned to look at us.

"Lucas, Kai, you two have been considered a strong contender to win it all, now that you have made it through to the semi-finals... tell me, how do you feel?" He shoved the mic toward both of us so that it was hovering somewhere in the middle of both of our faces.