Chapter 24

Lucas' POV

"Hey! Did you see Kai's new post?" A brunette girl with large glasses gossiped to her friend as the two stood in front of their lockers with piles of books in their arms.

"Yeah! Who was that girl, she's so pretty it's ridiculous!" The other girl spoke to her friend as I passed them, listening in on their conversation.

"I think I saw her at school the other day, but she looked super close to Kai. His arm was wrapped around her shoulder and they were super close together. I've never seen such a bright smile, he looked so happy!" The one with glasses squealed as she stared at her phone.

"Do you think they're dating?" One of them asked.

"I don't know, they look so good together though." She tilted her head looking at the picture Kai had uploaded when he took Sarah to that cafe two days ago.

I gripped the straps of my backpack tightly, the foam getting crushed under my hands. My jaw was clenched hard as I passed person after person, nearly all talking about Sarah and Kai.

I quickly put my earphones in and played music loud enough to drain out everyone around me.

I couldn't take it... listening to people talking about Kai being with someone else. I've been in love with him for so long but in the end, it really amounts to nothing.

He and I are nothing to other people, and I probably mean nothing to him.

Every step I take I can feel my chest tightening, it feels like someone took my heart into their hand and decided to squeeze it as if it was a stress ball.

I plopped down into my chair in the middle of the classroom on the far left side. I was earlier than I had ever been, after all, I promised Kai I wouldn't skip this week.

Even though I promised... even though I showed up... I feel like we haven't talked even once. Every time I see him he's busy with Sarah.

I get that they have a lot of catching up to do, eight years is a long time. But it's like he's completely forgotten about me.

Kai hasn't replied to any of my texts, he hasn't even opened the messages. It's like I've been completely replaced in a matter of days.

Am I really that unimportant to him?

I thought that we had gotten so close... We shared our secrets and we shared our bodies.

I didn't hear the bell ring as my music blared into my ears. Students shuffled into the history classroom one by one, all taking their assigned seats.

I was waiting for Kai to walk through the doors.

We usually meet up before class starts, but that hasn't happened at all this week.

The final bell rang, signaling the beginning of the period. Before the noise stopped, Kai strutted through the large wooden door with a smile on his face, laughing at what someone said.

Right next to him was Sarah... She was the one who had put such a cheerful expression on Kai's face.

Ah... My heart hurts.

It really hurts.

I nibbled on my bottom lip, taking out my earbuds and placing them in my backpack as Kai and Sarah took a seat on the opposite side of the room.

The teacher had put them next to each other since Sarah said that they were friends.

I looked at the two as the teacher began his lesson, Kai and Sarah weren't paying attention but instead were having a quiet, animated discussion.