02

"Amber, you can't be serious." Meredith asked as she helped Amber nail the wooden boards up against her window.

Amber wasn't sure herself what was happening, and what possessed her to believe that bad things could actually happen, but she believed the fortune teller, even if it seemed unrealistic. "I have to do this Mer."

Amber carefully nailed the boards to her bedroom window and instructed Meredith to quietly lock the door just like the fortune teller told her to do. "This is crazy!" Meredith persisted again.

"I love fortune telling and all the mystery that comes with it," She sighed deeply. "But this cannot be real. This is nothing about love or money, it's really some crazy shit." Meredith plopped her whole body onto Amber's bed, echoing a long squeaky noise that lasted forever.

"Neither did I. But for some reason, I believe her. And I don't just believe any random person, you saw all that shaking at the fair." Amber thought that Meredith was right, all this must be a sick game to trick her mind. But on the other hand, she felt that the fortune teller had a good reason for all this. There had to be, she thought.

"What about your grandma? Isn't she into all this wizardy witchcraft?" Meredith was right, Amber's grandmother had a whole library filled with any type of witchcraft known to man. This could be the answer to everything. They both decided this could prove whether all this was real.

• • •

A shelf or two. Or more. A whole wall full of mysteries and clues that would soon be solved by the touch of their fingers. Spies? of course not. Just a bunch of irresponsible teens discovering the fate of their future: of Amber's future.

How to Cast a Spell? no way.

How to; Potions? not a scientist.

Wizards Galore? not at all.

"We've been looking for hours already, let's just go." Meredith complained. But Amber wasn't ready to give up yet, she wanted to keep going no matter how long it took. She shuffled through shelfs of books, and wondered if there was a point to doing this anymore.

"Yeah, maybe we should just go," Amber gave in. "There's nothing going on--"

A large sharp zapping noise echoed into the library, shooting through their ears slightly but loudly almost like the sound of a train. Meredith quickly covered her ears, while Amber being the bravest of the two, decided to follow the zapping noise pounding in her grandmother's library.

what is that? she thought.

She couldn't think much because as soon as she did, the large hole grabbed her wrist and yanked her through. Her life must've flashed because she saw her mother and father, trapped in a large grey circular cage wrapped around with black chains on their wrists. They seemed scared, afraid and confused. And so was she.

"Amber, hold on!" Meredith shouted, but she sounded so distant. Like Amber was already halfway away from their world, maybe she died. At least the fear of the curse wouldn't be bothering her anymore.

A light sharp tug gripped her ankle, a light brown twisted rope was around her. And then, Meredith tugged harder almost tight enough to break her ankle--they both collided into the bookshelf, creating a thump into as they smashed through it.

"What the hell was that? You nearly got sucked into a man made black hole, you are so lucky I was there. Mind if I tweet this? Peo--"

"I saw them, Mer. I saw them." Meredith stopped for a moment, and tried to analyze what her best friend was saying. Amber didn't even know what she was saying.

"Amber what do you mean? Saw who?"

Amber stood up this time, dusting off the small amount of dust that accumulated on her right shoulder. "My parents, they were scared. Trapped all alone together in a grey cage with chains on their wrists."

Was all a dream? She didn't think so, she hadn't seen her parents since the funeral when she was four years old. They had a dead, pale look on their faces. They looked internally happy and at peace. Trapped? how could they?

should I go ahead? Amber thought. Is this even possible?