[1.1] Her Name

I wrote this for Bishamonten09 Bisha-san! I would have put this on Tumblr but since you like Wattpad more so here it is.

I expect another 2 parts following this one. I follow the manga only so if anything conflicts with the anime please overlook it. Hehe (ง ื▿ ื)

Behold the wall of text and confusing sentences! *Sob sob*

***

The girl just suddenly appeared one day, walking besides the mayo freak and the sadistic bastard. She didn't wear the Shinsengumi uniform but hanged out with them even when they were on patrol duty. (H/C) hair. Bright (E/C) eyes. Small frame. Always wear a soft smile on her calm face.

He thought that was one good looking girl.

He shrugged his shoulders, turning away. There were plenty of beautiful women around town and this was just another one. To be honest, he thought a girl who could mingle with those policemen must be no less than a crazy chick and he preferred to stay away from trouble.

But they lived in the same town and she kept showing up in front of him, always with the Shinsengumi duo. The three of them would often walk around town, stop here and there to buy coffee and stuff, chit chat and laugh happily like a group of normal functional adults.

Nope, this is not normal at all. He observed silently. The mayo freak would always look like he was constipated for 3 weeks straight and the sadistic bastard was not even capable of being genuinely happy. Yet here they were, bright faces and relaxed smiles, enjoying each other's presence. He thought maybe all this time the Shinsengumi was so deranged because they had no girl around to balance all the toxic masculinity. The gorilla was a clear example, running crazy just for one gorilla woman.

But that was none of his concern. Not even when their eyes met, the 2 policemen would instantly turn back to their old selves and they would break into a fight while the girl looked on confusedly. Not even when the mayo freak told her he was a dangerous criminal and she should stay away, then proceeded to drag her out of sight.

It did not bother him even a little bit.

And he was definitely not paying any attention, at all, when the glasses boy asked the gorilla, hiding in the wardrobe, who the girl was. It was pure coincidence that he was there when the gorilla explained she was the new doctor sent by the old man. The Shinsengumi was in dire need of an on-site medic but she was the only volunteer so they had no choice but to take a girl in. The gorilla exclaimed she was smart, kind-hearted, funny, totally an angel but could never outshine his gorilla woman.

Blah blah. That stuff.

Still, he wondered whether the girl can keep up her sanity living amongst hormones-driven men like that. It was obvious that these deranged policemen never leave her a moment alone. It was better for a female to have a female friend, one like the Yato brat in his house. And no, he was certainly not thinking of chatting her up if that case happened. He preferred to stay away from trouble after all.

Each day passed by and he just casually carried on his daily routine: going out to buy Jump, going out to play pachinko, going out to have a drink. The glasses boy said recently he went out a lot more than usual but he brushed it away. It was not like he was hoping to stumble upon the crazy policemen group, to catch a glimpse of a certain person. Hah, he was not a typical pathetic shoujo character, even if that certain person had the prettiest smile, even more than his favourite weather girl. Yeah, definitely not.

Ok, maybe he was a bit pathetic after all. 16 days had passed and he encountered the Shinsengumi exactly 9 times. Everything was back to normal. The mayo freak looked like he was constipated for 3 months straight. The sadistic brat looked...unhappily sadistic. The girl was not with them anymore. It was killing him inside but it was only because of curiosity. It was perfectly natural to be curious about why a certain person in a certain group disappeared. He put on his most nonchalant face and asked the sadistic brat about it when they happened to meet at the dango shop.

The brat stared at him, then smiled mischievously which dealt a killing blow to his cool act. Damn it. He cursed at himself for choosing to ask this brat. Now the sadistic devil knew about it. Don't worry boss, Nee-san was on a different mission. The devil smirked. He was not worried at all. He scoffed at the brat. How could he be worried about someone that is not even his friend? I don't know. Lots of people want to be more than friend with her.

If he could, he would kill this brat a thousand times over.

When he reached home, he was still thinking of new way to kill the same brat. The old hag who rented him the upper floor appeared out of nowhere and nagged about rental payment, adding to his headache. After a few beatings and catch-me-if-you-can sessions, the old hag captured him, bashed him for being a disgrace to the human race and forced him to enlist to the district voluntary services. He wouldn't mind as long as the old hag agreed to delay rental fee. He lazily looked for the place with his usual bored face and half-dead fish eyes.

Those fish eyes were revived the moment she came into view, looking as beautiful as ever. No. Scratch that last part. She looked normal. Yep. The girl noticed him. She looked stunned for a few second, then she smiled and slightly nodded at him as a greeting. Apparently, she had been helping out at the retirement house these 2 weeks, providing free checkup for the elderly. It was so busy at the house; he was assigned to renovate and repair but the elderly would randomly walk in all the dangerous spots asking for something completely irrelevant, making it more hectic than it already was. But he was able to make small talk with the girl in between their tasks, before rushing to stop another old man from walking down a broken stair. At the end of the days, he felt like he had worked enough for the next 5 years. Maybe he should retire too. He would tell glasses boy and Yato girl tonight.

She asked whether he would come again tomorrow, beaming happily. He had been such a great help. She said. He could not drop his Tsundere act, stating he was only here because an old hag forced him to, but yeah, he would come again. He glanced at the girl's awaiting face that was undeniably captivating. As the girl commented on how kind he was, he understood what people meant when they said they felt butterfly in their stomachs. He pretended to rub his temples to hide his embarrassment. He must look so uncool now. He made a remark that he was not that good. After all he was a past war criminal like that mayo freak had told her.

Going against the bakufu did not necessarily mean you are a bad person. Her eyes never falter as she replied. She knew he had helped lots of people, even the Shinsengumi. The gorilla and the plain boy told her about it. The mayo freak and the sadistic brat were too egoistic to admit but she knew they like him as much as well. Please be her friend too. She giggled.

Ah, this was too troublesome. He exhaled, knowing he must look so stupid with his blushing face. He was sure that all this was just a passing phase, that it was completely nothing. Now he was unsure. To cover up his awkwardness, he stated that the mayo freak simply hated his guts and would definitely make a scene if their precious doctor were to hang around a person like him. She stared at him, grasping his words. She blinked once. Blinked twice. She looked so cute when she did that.

Vice Commander doesn't have to know about us.

She simply said, then proceeded to laugh cheerfully. He was sure, then he was not. His intuition warned him this girl is one hell of a trouble and she is going to mess up his life. Please stay away from it.

But he did not want to. Through his racing heart and conflicting thoughts, he managed to mutter one question he had waited so long to ask. What should I call you? She looked up at the star, then tilted her head, her hair flowing over her shoulder.

"Please call me (Y/N)!"