25. train wreck

𝑊𝐴𝑅𝑁𝐼𝑁𝐺.
• blood/gore

A Year Earlier

A Year Earlier.

The sweet aroma of coffee wafted around the room as Spencer leaned back against the counter, sighing contently to himself as he sipped his coffee from the foam cup in his hands, immediately scrunching his nose in disgust. He spun around, grabbing the sugar from behind him before pulling the lid off the foam cup, dumping the crystallized xylose into the already sweetened drink as he reached for a plastic stick, stirring the mound of sugar in.

"Need some more coffee with your sugar?"

Spencer jumped at the sudden voice, whirling around to see a younger woman standing behind him, beaming at him with her big, bright eyes. She was shorter than him— much shorter. And she was pretty. Spencer blushed at her words, pulling his cup off the counter and swirling it around in his hand, sipping it as he said, "I have a sweet tooth."

"I'll say," the girl laughed, crossing her arms as she grinned up at Spencer.

"Uh... Are you, uh... Are you new?" Spencer asked, sipping his coffee.

"I am, actually. Sorry. That was rude of me. I'm (Y/N)— or Agent (Y/L/N). It doesn't matter to me what you call me."

Spencer watched her as she extended her hand out to him, feeling his heart lurch inside his chest. "Oh, you're the, um... you're the new media liaison! Yes, I remember. Hotch mentioned you were starting today. Sorry, I don't... I don't really do handshakes. The amount of germs exchanged during a handshake is actually pretty staggering. It's much safer to kiss."

Color rushed to Spencer's cheeks as (Y/N) looked at him, wide-eyed. "Shit— I mean— not shit, I... Wow. This is not going well, is it?"

"Mm, I'll give you bonus points for being charming at least," she giggled.

"Sorry," Spencer sighed. He plastered a goofy smile to his face, setting his coffee down as he asked, "Can we start over? Hi. I'm Spencer."

"(Y/N)," the girl replied as Spencer took her hand in his, his fingertips igniting at her touch, feeling his cheeks burn from embarrassment. "So, wait, are you... Are you Spencer Reid, then? Dr. Spencer Reid. The genius on the team?"

"That would be me," Spencer replied, smiling at her as he pulled his hand away.

"Hotch mentioned you during my interview. That's so fucking cool... shoot. Yeah, uh... shoot. I- I have a bit of a mouth on me, too," (Y/N) replied, wrapping her arms around herself as she shyly smiled.