13. finish line

He never came and found you

The next time you saw Spencer was at the jet. He walked past you, refusing to make eye contact with you as he sat at the far end of the jet furthest away from everyone, folding his legs over each other. He prodded at the eyelets of his faded Converse tennis shoes with the frayed laces, biting his lip, lost in his own world of wonderment.

He didn't even contribute when the team was discussing the case close to landing which made you finally pull your phone out, shooting him a quick text: Hey, everything okay?

His only response to you was: All good. Thanks, though.

That response alone was enough to convince you that he wasn't telling the truth. The way he stared out his window, the sheer reluctance in his eyes as he fumbled with his hands in his lap only added to your ever-growing pile of evidence.

You'd almost gotten up to talk to him until Hotch cleared his throat, saying to everyone, "When we land, I want all of us to go to the crime scene. (Y/L/N), the media's already gotten hold of the story. I want you working with the press to warn the residents in the area and diffuse of any panic."

The second time you saw Spencer was when the team was delivering the profile.

"We're looking for a young couple from North Dakota— late teens to mid-twenties. We believe they may have been recently married," Hotch began explaining to the officers gathered around the room. "We're seeing that alcohol plays a significant role in these crimes. It's allowing them to kill freely and recklessly."

"Our unsubs are killing surrogates who represent those responsible for deep-seated wounds. These two most likely met at an alcohol support group and they get a sexual charge from the kill," Morgan remarked.

"The change from gas station to alcohol support meetings suggests that one of them might have a slight moral compass that led them to get help," JJ said.

"Ultimately, we believe one of the pair is a sociopath while the other is a psychopath," Rossi added.

"What's the difference?" One of the officers asked.

"They're similar pathologies but a sociopath is less likely to participate in criminal activity and can be lured by a dominant while a psychopath is a consummate leader and likely to engage and destroy anyone in their way," Spencer replied. You looked up at him as he spoke, that nervous, gut-wrenching feeling taking its place as you wrapped your arms around yourself, watching him. "The most recent attack was twelve hours ago which means they're most likely heading west of Helena and towards Idaho. All surrounding areas should be on high alert."

Hotch concluded the meeting with a firm, "Thank you." The cops began to disperse from around the room as you pulled yourself away from the wall you were leaning against, watching Spencer as he walked over to men's restroom, pushing the door open before walking inside.