Chapter 4

Author's POV....

Ananya's mother woke her up at 6 today as her engagement ceremony starts at 10AM. Ananya was feeling really nervous. I mean, who wouldn't when their life is changing in the span of a few days?

She was getting ready by herself. She wore a simple lehenga with minimal jewellery and left her hair loose with jasmine flowers attached to her hair.

Ananya's mother complimented her by saying "You look gorgeous today darling". She just smiled bearing her mother's compliment. "The Varma's are here Anu. Priya (Nikhil's sister) will come and collect you in a bit" Revathy left after informing her about Ananya's In-laws. The Varma's are here which means she will meet Nikhil soon. She was excited to meet him but at the same time she was nervous too.

As Ananya was in her chain of thoughts, Priya came inside her room. "Anu! You're looking stunning dear!" Priya said.

"Awe! Thank you darling!! So are you" Ananya complimented Priya back.

"Anu, they want you down urgently. Come let's go quick. We can always speak once you two exchange rings" Priya said and walked with Ananya to where the ceremony was taking place.

Ananya's heartbeat was rising as each second passed. She could feel so many eyes on her. As soon as she reached the hall, Parvathy ran to her and hugged her. "Anu, I can't believe you're becoming my daughter-in-law. I'm sorry that everything was rushed but you can understand the situation. Can't you Anu?" Parvathy said to Ananya.

Forming a smile on her face, Ananya said "Yes aunty, I can understand".

"Don't call me aunty anymore Anu. Nikhil calls me mom and from now on you can call me mom too and Ravi as dad" Parvathy said to Anu.

Nikhil was watching all this with frustration and anger. He wanted all this to be over soon. He was faking all of this just for the sake of his parents and grandfather.

Ananya then went to seek the blessing of the elders. After that was done, she went and stood near Nikhil. Ananya was stunned by Nikhil's change in appearance. He had changed a lot from the old school boy to a handsome young man.

Nikhil avoided eye contact with Ananya.

Ananya's heartbeat was now beating really fast but somewhere in her heart she wished Nikhil to at least look at her and smile at her. Soon they exchanged rings. Nikhil did it as fast as he could.

So after the engagement the family gathered together to click pictures. Nikhil's father whispered something in Nikhil's ears. He then suddenly grabbed Ananya's hand and made her stand closer to him. (How rude is he? She thought in her mind).

After taking the pictures, everyone then went to eat the food which was prepared by Ananya's mother. It was just Ananya, Priya, Varun and Nikhil in the hall now. Varun then looked at Priya and said "Come Arpana, let's go and let Nikhil and Ananya speak privately for some time" Priya nodded and then teased both and left with Varun.

Ananya's POV

It was really awkward now with just Nikhil and I. I had no clue what to speak with him and he looked like he was texting someone on his phone. After standing there, not knowing what to do, I decided to start a conversation somehow. He gave me one word answers to whatever I asked. He looked as if he wasn't interested in all this....