2

3,645

"Krystal," I heard my mom lightly tap on my bedroom door. "Krystal, honey, I'm just about finished making dinner, you should really eat something before you go out tonight."

I sighed as I looked over myself in the mirror.

"Okay mom,  I'll be right down."

I heard my mom shuffle back down the carpeted stairs to finish making dinner.

I looked at myself again.  Tonight was my 18th birthday. My two best friends were forcing me to go out and, "live it up."

I was always the quiet one,  the awkward one. The one who wants nothing more than to sit on my balcony under the stars, reading a book, drinking some warm tea, and watching my wolf.

But I knew Mia and Isabelle too well to know they wouldn't let me, especially on my birthday. 

I had promised I would,  and besides I owed it to myself to have some fun! 

I looked at myself, taking in my messy wavy, light brown hair, and my slim figure.

My features displayed nothing extravagant or beautiful. I was a plane Jane, with fair skin and golden freckles smattering my face. I had a long nose that I inherited from my grandfather, and pale green eyes from my mom.

I was wearing a black and gold lace dress that hugged each of my curves like it was hanging on for dear life.

I shook my head my head back and forth, I would never have picked such a revealing number if weren't for Mia and Belle practically forcing me to get it.

***

Belle squealed, "OMG! But you look sooo HOT!"

"You have to get it! If you don't,  I'll just buy it for you for your birthday." Whined Mia.

"You are going to drive all the boys crazy with that on!" Cooed Belle again.

I rolled my eyes at them and eventually agreed on getting it or I'd never hear the end of it.

***

Then my eyes landed on the pendant that was hanging from my neck on a black leather cord.

It's been hanging there for almost 5 years.

***

1,820

It was a cold winter. Colder than our first.

I knew he was starving.

I  was watching him wither away this winter, because there was no food to be found.

I was 14. It was out 6th year together.
Watching him starve was breaking my heart. I couldn't take it anymore.
Late one night instead of going upstairs to the attic for our nightly ritual, I went downstairs to the basement to look through our second freezer.

We rarely ate the stuff in here, and no one would notice if a few steaks went missing.

I took a whole armful of frozen meats; chicken breasts, steaks, you name it.
I must have grabbed 10 or 12 pieces of meat.

I made my way quietly back to the first floor, and went out the back door and around the side of my house towards the woods.