4

3,645

I walked over to the side of the house towards the garage where my old blue Jeep Wrangler was parked.

Sure enough my wolf was there, at the edge of the woods, like always, but this time he was watching me with hungry eyes, devouring every inch of my body with his crystal clear gaze.

The way he was looking at me was new, but not unfamiliar, like he was supposed to be looking at me like this for the past 10 years.

I was surprised by the way his eyes roamed over my body, like he was drinking me up, memorizing every detail.

I heard a low growl come from the base of his throat.

I shivered; hearing the deep timbre of his voice sent a hot liquid through my veins and fluttered in my stomach.

Then all of a sudden, blurs of color started coming foward, from behind the trees to the edge of the woods.

Wolves from his pack were gathering around him now, watching me.

Like the way he was.

With ravenous desiring stares.

But it didnt make me feel warm and fuzzy anymore.

They weren't him.

I started to slowly move to my car so I could get away from their searching eyes as quickly as possible.

My wolf saw my discomfort as he registered the wolves forming a circle around him and I, starting to close in on me.

I kept on my path to the car, only a few yards to my left side stepping quickly but quietly through the snow, trying not make any sudden movements.

The other wolves kept staring, and advancing foward. Making their way closer to my wolf, closer to me. There must have been at least 7 or 8 of them. Forming a semi circle behind the tree line, inching foward with greedy eyes.

A loud snarl came from him, warning the rest of pack to stay back.

Some started to back away, but some members dared to disobey him, their obvious Alpha, and proceeded their move onwards towards me.

What did they want? Why were they all looking at me like that? Why was he looking at me like that?

I kept inching my way slowly over to my car, really not wanting to be one of these wolves dinner on my damñ birthday.

But the way they were looking at me, and my body, it made my stomach acid churn. It was truly frightening. They were salavating. Like I was a prize to be won. Food to be eaten. Prey to be hunted.

My wolf snapped again at the few wolves who still advanced. He nipped a few of them on their shoulders shaking them back and forth until they retreated.

This is about when I lost all sense of reality. I didn't even know what I was doing until I did it. It was all happening so fast. I was starting to hyperventilate and become hysterical.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? STOP! STOP IT!!!" I screamed, at the wolves; my wolf; no one in particular.

"Stop! Right now! What the fųck! WOLF! STOP!!" I was gasping for air now, my voice was shrill and almost unclear, I barely recognized it.

The other wolves scampered off, running away from my frantic voice. They were so unused to hearing a human voice speak towards them, especially one screaming bloody murder.

My wolf just stood there. It looked like he was in shock from hearing my voice so loud.

"What in fůcks sake are you doing? Are you trying to get killed? Are you trying to get me killed?!" I yelled. "And why are you looking at me like that? Like I'm some piece of meat you want to devour. Hmm?? Well I'm not. I'm a fûcking 18 year old girl. And it's my damn birthday. And I was almost just eaten by YOUR pack of wolves..."

A little quieter I added, "And I'm screaming at a wolf in the middle of the woods, and if course this is useless because he doesn't know what the heck I'm even saying. He's a wolf. And I'm fücking crazy." I started to trail of at the end of my rant, at that point really talking to myself, chiding myself for being crazy.

My wolf was advancing towards me ever so slowly I almost didn't notice until I lifted my tear stricken face towards him.

"NO! You stop right there Mr. Wolf. Stay the hell back. I don't want to be near you right now." I cried.

My wolf wimpered, and lowered his head. But continued to come closer.

"No, I said. What is wrong with you? What if one of those wolves challanged you? What if they all fought back. What if you got hurt. What if you died!? What would I have done then? What could I do? I couldn't defend you, or save you. What would I do. Without you?" I was hysterical again.

My nose was running away and my face was covered in my salty years and smudged mascara.

My wolf came closer, I backed away.

He used to he afraid to get to close. Now I was the one afraid.

"Geez, and summers coming sooner than you know it, and then what? I'm only going to see you during the full moon. Only a few times a month until the next winter. Do you know how much that sucks? How much it breaks my heart? To not be able to see you!? Well sure you do, if you even remotely feel the way I do. And what? Your a wolf. You must be at least around my age. I've known you for 10 years. I was 8, when you first came, you had to be around my age to feel this connection. The one I feel for you. So if I'm 18, and let's just say for shïts sake your the same age? That makes you how old in wolf years? Like 69 or something? Shįt. Like how long do wolves even live? I don't know, but it can't be forever. So fůck. What am I going to do!? Arghhhh!" I cried and wiped my face with my gloved hand. I turned and started towards my Jeep.

My wolf started to follow.

"NO. I said leave me alone wolf. I do not want to be near you right now."

He whimpered as I ran the next few steps to my car door and quickly got in. I saw him lay down and put his head in his paws as I slammed my door shut, started the engine and shot like a bat out of hėll down my long gravel driveway and towards the road.

I sped faster and faster until the woods and my wolf were far from sight in my rear view mirror.