Chapter 21: Asking the Bridgers

MORRA SEVARRO

Morra was sitting down in the Bridger's place eating a meal with her master Eekar.

"So," she said, "When are we going to get to go home?"

"That depends," Eekar said.

"On what?" Morra asked.

"On the Empire," Eekar replied.

"You know, where do you guys live, anyways?" Ephraim asked.

"Tatooine," Eekar said, saying the first planet that came to mind.

"Tatooine, huh? Then this must be a breath of fresh air." Ephraim replied.

"It's a peaceful life," Eekar said.

"Then what brings you to Lothal?" Ephraim asked.

"We bought some supplies from someone here, and we came to get them, but he was dead. The authorities said something about Crimson Dawn."

"Oh yeah," Ephraim said, "that guy. Don't know why they went after him." He took a sip of water.

Thankfully, he didn't have any other inquiries.

Suddenly, the holoprojector in Eekar's pocket started vibrating.

Ahsoka (or someone else in the New Jedi Order) was trying to contact them.

"Someone's calling us," Eekar said. "If we can go into the bunker and call them in private, that would be nice."

"Who's calling you?" Ephraim asked.

"A friend," Eekar said.

After some time, Ephraim continued.

"Alright, you can contact them, but you two are treading on thin ice. Mira's starting to get the suspicion you're up to something."

Eekar nodded his head.

"Thank you," he said.

The two opened up the bunker and climbed down, and they closed it up behind them.

Ezra was still down there, sitting in his crib.

Eekar pulled the holoprojector out of his pocket and turned it on, and the image of a cloaked Ahsoka came up.

"Fulcrum," Eekar said, "we've escaped the Imperials and taken refuge in a civilian dwelling."

"Good to hear you're safe," Ahsoka's scrambled voice said. "But you have to-"

Ahsoka was interrupted by Ezra squealing behind them.

"I see you have something there," Ahsoka said.

"It's nothing," Morra said, "just a... a squeaky door."

"For the last time, Morra," Eekar said, "I'm the one who talks with Fulcrum."

"Well," Morra said, "you're not supposed to say my name, either. I don't even have a codename yet."

"We'll assign you both codenames soon," Ahsoka said, "but right now I need to know why you two are sharing a room with a baby."

Morra rolled her eyes. 

Ahsoka had caught on.

"We're staying with the Bridger family on Lothal right now and we've identified that their child has potential," Eekar said, deliberately avoiding saying the words "Force-sensitive."

"That's definitely not the news I was expecting to hear from you guys," Ahsoka said. "Have you asked the parents yet?"

"no, but they're quite anti-imperial, so I think they'll say yes."

"Good," Ahsoka replied. "As for the supplies, we'll have to try somewhere else. I don't know where, though."

"So long as we can get them," Morra said.

"What's the child's name?" Ahsoka asked, as Ezra squealed again.

"Ezra Bridger," Eekar said.

"Hmm," Ahsoka said, "I don't think he was recorded in the..."

She was probably about to say "holocrons," but stopped, in case someone was picking up on their signal.

"He's only about a month or so old," Eekar said. "I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't recorded."

"Well, go ask the parents," Ahsoka said. "He's a little young, but we'll take him in."

"Good," Eekar said.

The hologram disconnected.

EPHRAIM BRIDGER

Ephraim was talking with his wife, Mira, when the two emerged from the bunker.

Mira immediately stopped talking and shot them a somewhat mean look.

"What's going on?" asked the Togruta, who had told him her name was Dano Eyanna.

"My wife demands to know what you're really up to," Ephraim said. "I may believe you, but she doesn't."

The Togruta sighed.

"You want to know the truth?" she asked.

She brushed her cloak aside to reveal a lightsaber strapped to her belt. A kriffing lightsaber.

The Mon Calamari that accompanied her did the same.

Mira and Ephraim's eyes widened.

They were Jedi.

These two were Jedi.

"Y-you're Jedi!?" Ephraim said.

They both nodded their heads.

"My name isn't Dano," said the Togruta, "it's Morra. Morra Sevarro."

"And my name is Eekar Oki," said the Mon Calamari.

"It all makes sense now," Ephraim said, "I- that's why you were running from the Empire!"

"Listen," Eekar said, "We have to... ask something of you. But first, some context. We're part of a Jedi Survivor group that's currently hiding at an undisclosed location. We were sent here to get some supplies since we were running low, but the supplier was dead. We had to contact our master, but we got caught doing that and had to flee. That's when we found you."

"Who is this 'Master' of yours?" Ephraim asked.

"We can't disclose that," Eekar said.

"So what do you want to ask us?" Mira said.

"This may come as a shock to you," Morra said, "but... we've... we've identified your child as Force-sensitive."

She didn't have to continue talking. Ephraim knew what they wanted.

They wanted to take their son so he could become a Jedi.

"Let me talk this over with Mira," Ephraim said.