Chapter 32: A Sudden Important Question

AHSOKA TANO-BONTERI

R7 beeped as the ship made it's way to Florrum.

"We're on course to Florrum," Ahsoka said.

"As if that weren't obvious," Katooni replied.

"How's the primary systems looking," Lux asked. "Has anything malfunctioned?"

"Uh, no?" Katooni said. "You don't sound confident that this ship's going to make it to Florrum."

"Don't worry," Ahsoka said. "We checked everything before we took off, Lux."

"That's good," Lux said.

"Hey Katooni," Ahsoka said, "Why don't you go meditate in the back for a bit? I want to ask something to Lux.

"Okay," Katooni said.

"You too, R7," Ahsoka said.

R7 let out a few angry beeps.

"Yes," Ahsoka said. "Get out, it's private."

The droid let out a few more beeps before reluctantly exiting. Ahsoka closed the door behind him.

"What is it?" Lux asked, curious as to why his wife wanted to ask something so suddenly.

It would be sudden, she knew, but she had to get this off her chest. Some part of her had been treating Ezra and Katooni as if they were her own children. To her, protecting them felt good. It felt like she really meant a lot to them.

"Lux," Ahsoka said, "this is kind of sudden, but I've been thinking. I... After this, I..." 

"I want a child, Lux."

If he had been drinking something, he most certainly would have spit it all out.

"What the- I thought you said we were too young!" Lux said.

"I changed my mind," she said. "I want a child."

"Wha- what inspired you to do this!?" Lux said.

"Ezra and Katooni, pretty much," she said. "Honestly, they brought out a part of me that acted like a mother. And... it felt good. I want to be a mother. Togrutas can handle pregnancy at this age, so it should be fine."

Lux was clearly in shock.

"I... I don't know if I can handle being a father just yet," Lux said.

"I thought the same thing a bout being a mother, until calming Ezra and helping Katooni made me feel good about myself."

Lux took a deep breath.

"Can we even have chil-"

"Lux, that's a stupid question. You learned in health class which species can procreate with humans, correct?"

"Well-"

"Togrutas were one of those species, correct?"

"I'm not going to win this argument, am I?" Lux said.

"Nope," Ahsoka replied.

Lux sighed.

"Alright," he said, "we can start trying for a child once we get home."

Ahsoka quickly hugged Lux.

"Yes!" she said. "I can't wait to be a mother!"

Lux hugged her back.

"You'll be a great mama, 'Soka," he said. "Our children will look up to you."

"And you, too," Ahsoka said. "You're a Jedi too, you know."

"Sometimes I forget that," Lux said. "Sometimes I still feel like the foolish boy from Onderon that fell in love with the most beautiful woman in the whole Galaxy."

Ahsoka blushed intensely.

"T-thanks," she said.

"And you'll be the best mama, too," he said, kissing her gently on the forehead.

She could already hear the pitter-patter of two little feet racing towards her yelling "Mama! Mama!"

She wanted a child. And she wanted one as soon as possible. She and Lux were going to make great parents, she knew it.

But suddenly, Ahsoka Tano-Bonteri's fantasies were interrupted by the door to the cockpit opening behind them, with Katooni and R7 standing behind it.

"Congratulations," Katooni said.

R7 let out a cheerful beep.

Ahsoka's cheeks flushed red.

"I told you this was private!" Ahsoka yelled.

"I couldn't help but eavesdrop," she said. "It sounded important."

"Katooni Adana! Next time, it could be highly classified information! Do not do that ever again!"

"So you're calling me by my full name, huh?" she said. "I heard you say you thought of me as your own child."

"No," Ahsoka said, "I didn't."

Katooni looked intensely at her, and so did Lux.

R7 surely would have been doing the same had he been capable of showing such expressions.

"Okay," she said.

"I never knew my mother," Katooni said. "Sometimes I like to think that they were the kindest, nicest person in the world. I guess I thought she was a lot like you."

Ahsoka was on the verge of crying tears of joy.

"Thanks," Ahsoka said, "that... that means a lot to me."

"I can't wait to meet your children," Katooni continued.

"Oh, Katooni, you're too kriffing sweet!" Ahsoka said.

The tears of joy she was holding back finally washed over.

"Now look at what you've done," Lux joked. "You've made her cry."

"It's okay," Ahsoka said through the tears, "it's okay."

Truth was, Ahsoka did start to act like a mother to Katooni. In the month following Lux and Ahsoka's marriage, Ahsoka would always personally oversee Katooni's training efforts if she ever fell behind or needed help. She had grown to be one of the younglings at the camp with the most potential, and was well on her way to becoming Ahsoka's next Padawan.

The ship started beeping.

"We're coming up on Florrum," Lux said.