Chapter 26: Soft Spot

AHSOKA TANO-BONTERI

Ahsoka walked out to see that Morra and Eekar's ship had landed.

The ramp opened, and the two came down, Morra holding a swaddled baby that was whining a little.

"Good job," Ahsoka said. "We have our plans on what to do for our supply run, so don't worry about it."

"Well, we did get something done," Morra said.

She handed the baby to Ahsoka. She gently lifted him out of Morra's arms and into hers.

He stopped whining.

"His name was Ezra, right?"

"Yes," Eekar said. "The parents willingly gave him up. They're anti-imperial activists, and you know what happens to people like them. They decided it was for the better."

"It must have been a tough choice for them," Ahsoka said. "But I'm confident they did the right thing."

Ezra started to make cooing noises. He seemed to like Ahsoka.

"I think he likes you," Morra said.

"Hey there, little one," Ahsoka said to baby Ezra. He started to squeal in joy. "Yes, this is your new home. You're special, little one, you're special..."

Lux suddenly came onto the scene.

"Uh," he said, "wasn't Lyda going to get Christi? And wasn't she a little older than that?"

"Oh," Ahsoka said. "Morra and Eekar had a change of plans. They had issues with their supplier, and happened to find this force-sensitive child. His name is Ezra Bridger."

"Can I see him?" Lux asked.

"Sure, but don't you dare hurt that precious thing!"

"Geez, Ahsoka," Lux said. "we're not even parents yet!"

"Sorry," Ahsoka said. "He's just so precious!"

Ahsoka handed Ezra to Lux.

"Hey there little guy," Lux said. "Geez, and to think you're gonna be like us one day."

Ezra squealed.

Lux extended his pointer finger and touched the boy's nose.

"Boop!" Lux said.

Ezra squealed again.

"Geez," Morra said, "you're not his parents!"

Lux ignored her and continued playing with the child, along with Ahsoka.

Soon, another ship passed over them and landed out in the field.

"That's Lyda. She's brought Christi. She also said she has a surprise."

"Oh, please," Lux said, still holding Ezra. "She obviously brought Rex with her. What else could it be? Or has she encountered some other old friend on Yerbana that you didn't tell me about?"

"Well, that would be nice," Ahsoka said. "Take care of the child, I'll go get Lyda."

She walked over to Lyda's ship, and she emerged from it holding hands with a toddler which looked exactly like the one in the records. That was definitely Christi.

"See," Ahsoka smirked, "that wasn't hard at all."

"Well," Lyda said, "I couldn't have done it without Rex."

"Oh, speaking of Rex, he can come out now," Ahsoka said.

Lyda rolled her eyes.

"Rex!" She yelled.

Rex then stepped out of the ship.

"Good to see you again, Commander," Rex said.

"That's General now, Rex," Ahsoka said.

"Oh, right," Rex said.

Ahsoka suddenly ran up to him and hugged him.

"I missed you..." she started crying. "I didn't think you'd actually come to us."

"It was a better alternative than staying behind and risking being caught," Rex said.

"Rex... I thought I lost you too..."

"I know," Rex said. "I heard what happened to General Skywalker. I can't say I'd blame you for thinking I was dead, it was my own fault..."

"No, Rex," Ahsoka said. "we're okay. We're safe from the Empire here."

"Hey!" Lux said, "I'm the only one who gets to hug her and talk to her like that!"

Rex looked over and saw that Lux was carrying a baby.

"Wha-" Rex said, breaking the hug. "You didn't tell me on that call that you and Lux already had a child!"

"Whoa," Ahsoka said, "that is not our child! That's just Ezra, a force-sensitive child we found on Lothal. Calm down."

Rex's cheeks flushed red.

"Er... sorry, commander, I... I could only assume that he was... y'know..."

"Look at him! He's not orange, he doesn't have any facial markings, and he dousn't have Lekku or Montrails!"

"Ugh, sorry..."

"To be fair," Lux said, "she's only had him for a few minutes and she's already treating him like her own child."

"Hey," Ahsoka said, "you've been doing that too!"