Chapter 23: For His Future

EPHRAIM BRIDGER

Ephraim and Mira descended the ladder into their secret bunker. Morra and Eekar, the two Jedi who had showed up at their house asking to take and train Ezra, were waiting upstairs. As always, Ezra was still down here, but he was sleeping.

Once the two got off the ladder, they both shared a moment of silence. Neither of them knew what to say.

Finally, Mira spoke up.

"You don't want to give him away, do you?" Mira said softly.

"No," Ephraim said, "no I don't."

"We don't have a choice, honey," Mira replied. "With what we're doing right now, it will only be so long until we're without him anyway."

"I know," Ephraim said. "I just didn't think it would happen so soon, and definitely not like this."

"Honey," Mira said, "Our son is going to be a Jedi. Imagine that. It's only so long until the Empire gets in our way, and if he's still with us by then, he'll be left on his own. I don't want that to happen, honey. We have no choice. We have to let them take him."

Ephraim found it quite odd that, while Mira had been quite suspicious of Morra and Eekar, now she was adamantly siding with them.

"For his future," Mira continued. "He'll help make the galaxy a better place."

Ephraim sighed.

"I never thought our son would end up being a Jedi," he said. "Especially since I thought all the Jedi had been wiped out."

"Well, clearly not all of them," Mira continued. "Honey, please, we have to let it happen. It's the best future he has. He'll eventually have to go without us either way."

Ephraim sighed again.

"I know," he said.

There was another moment of silence.

"So, we're letting them take him?" Mira said, breaking the silence.

"Yes," he replied, "we... we have to. It's his best option."

Ephraim turned over to Ezra, who was still asleep in his crib.

He walked over and picked him up.

Ezra woke up and started to whine a little.

"It's okay," Ephraim said to the baby, "you'll be in good hands. It's for you own good."

And with that, he walked to the ladder and climbed up.

MORRA SEVARRO

Morra looked over at the bunker entrance and saw Mira climb out, followed by Ephraim, who was carrying his child.

"So," Eekar said, "What have you decided?"

Ephraim took a deep breath.

"You can have him," he said. "You can take our son, and train him to be a Jedi. It... it was a hard choice for us, but knowing that with what we're doing, the Empire could seperate us from him at any moment, I... I... I think this is his best option."

Morra could sense how painful this was to these two. It was understandable, given the choice they had to make.

"Here," Ephraim said, handing the baby to Eekar.

"Take good care of him," Mira said. "Treat him the best you can."

"Believe me," Eekar said, "our master is the most kind, most loving person there is. There is nobody better than them to take care of him."

"I'm so glad to hear that," Ephraim said.

Eekar handed Ezra to Morra.

"We need to get going," he said, "the longer we stay here, the more likely our ship has been seized. We need to get back now."

Both of the Bridgers started crying.

"Please," Mira begged, "take care of him."

"Don't worry," Morra said, "we will."

And they walked out the door, as the Bridgers looked at their son for what very well could be the last time.

Morra and Eekar ran through the alleys of Lothal, carrying Ezra with them. They knew they couldn't take the speeders they had stolen, as they would immediately be identified as stolen.

They ran and hopped over boxes and crates, being quick so they wouldn't be noticed by imperial patrols.

It was nighttime on Lothal right now, so the darkness helped to aid them inn their escape.

Eventually, after what seemed like an hour of sneaking around and shushing Ezra, they got to the starport.

They were relieved to find that their ship was still there.

"Quickly," Eekar said, "let's get on."

The two ran into the starport and mind-tricked their way past the entrance again, quickly running to their ship and boarded it.

Eekar quickly grabbed the controls and the back ramp closed as the ship started to hover in the air and fly away.

Morra and Eekar had escaped Lothal, and while they didn't accomplish their original goal, they brought something arguably more important:

Ezra Bridger.

Eekar pulled a lever in the cockpit and the ship thrusted into hyperpace.

"Let's contact Fulcrum," Morra said. "Tell her we're on our way."

"Got it," Eekar said, pushing a few more buttons.

The ship's holographic communications turned on, and the cloaked image of Ahsoka came into view.

"Fulcrum," Eekar said, "We've completed our mission. We will be arriving back at the camp with Ezra shortly."

"Good to hear," Ahsoka responded. "While the mission on Yerbana has yet to complete, it's good to know we've brought home at least one youngling. We'll also have to discuss where to get our next supply run, since we are running a little low."

"Good," Eekar said. "I look forward to returning."