Chapter 29: Mission Briefing

KATOONI ADANA

Katooni was practicing her lightsaber moves in the middle of a field.

She had nobody to train with, so she just stood there, slashing the air.

"Practicing your moves, huh?" a voice said from behind her.

She turned around to see none other than Ahsoka standing behind her.

"Hey," Katooni said, "practice makes perfect."

"Good," Ahsoka said, "because you're about to get lots of it."

"What do you mean?" Katooni asked.

"Meet me in the briefing room on the Crucible," Ahsoka replied.

Katooni's heart jumped. Was she going on a mission? To where? And why her? Wasn't she a little too young for this?

"Okay," Katooni replied anxiously, "see you there."

"I sense you are anxious, young one," Ahsoka said. "What's wrong?"

"You sound like we're going on a mission," Katooni said. "aren't I still a little young?"

"Well," Ahsoka said, "I guess we don't need to talk this over in the briefing room. We're going to Florrum tomorrow to see if we can pick up some supplies from Hondo's base since the run on Lothal failed. It's probably abandoned since the Empire doesn't really like pirates, but we think it's best to take you along just in case Hondo's still there. He seems to have a soft spot for you."

"Phew," Katooni said. "Okay, I can see why you're taking me now."

"And besides," Ahsoka said, "if we run into any trouble, you're coming with Lux and I, and we'll do all the hard work for you."

"Let's hope we don't," Katooni said.

"Trust me," Ahsoka said, "I wouldn't bring you if I didn't think you were safe. Lux and I will protect you. I promise."

"Good," Katooni replied. "That really comforts me."

Katooni stood with Lux and Ahsoka in the briefing room.

"Why'd you call me here," Lux asked, "and why is Katooni here?"

"Since our mission to Lothal failed in it's original objective, we have to get supplies from somewhere else. Delegate and I have decided that Hondo's base would be a good option. We can bargain with Hondo if he's there, or take the supplies if the place is abandoned. If there's too much of an Imperial presence, we won't attempt a landing and we'll head right back."

"Hondo?" Lux asked. "Are we sure we can trust him!?"

"He did deliver weapons to you and the Onderon Rebels," Ahsoka said.

"Yeah, and he captured you, like, two weeks later."

"Then I guess we'll have to hope he's in a good mood," Ahsoka said. "Jokes aside, this is something we'll have to get done. Thankfully, we have a YT-1760 Small Transport stolen from an earlier mission, which should be able to hold any amount of supplies we choose to take."

"Here's to hoping we strike it rich," Lux said. "I hope we get an actual temple or something built here soon."

"That might not be possible for a long time," Ahsoka said. "We'd have to get actual builders over here. Maybe it'd be possible with droids but the resources needed for that would just be too much, especially since we're trying to keep this secret. A flow of building materials to an unknown destination within the Unknown Regions would just raise too much suspicion, so we'll have to deal with tents and stolen ships for now. But what we can find at Hondo's base should be more than enough to last us a while."

"I also know where his hidden fleet is," Katooni said.

She had been taken there by Hondo, who wanted to just run away from the Grievous-sized issue at hand, but Katooni had convinced him to do otherwise.

"We could take another ship if the Empire hasn't found any of them," she added.

"Assuming the place is abandoned," Lux said.

"Grievous left the place quite beaten," Ahoska said, "I doubt they stayed there for much longer. Besides, if all else fails, I'll just ask Delegate for another contact."

"Assuming Hondo won't sell us off to the Empire for a kriffing fortune," Lux said.

"He won't," Katooni insisted.

"Don't worry," Ahsoka said, putting her hand on Lux's shoulder. "We'll do this together."

"Okay," Lux said, nodding slowly.

"Then that concludes this briefing," Ahsoka said, "We'll head out tomorrow morning. Go do some training in the meantime."

"Will do," Katooni said.