Chapter 5

The boys were excited. When I told them today we would be going to a cookout to watch a football game, they were over the moon. I had to switch shifts with a coworker to get the night off so it worked out easy enough.

When Venom showed up with the girls the boys were all smiles. "They haven't shut up about going to watch the game since I told them about it this morning before they went to school," I said to Venom as we walked out to his SUV. "They don't get to watch sports all that often do they," he asked me. I shook my head, "We have had to move so much, it's easier to not have so much furniture. Plus I could never afford the sports channels. They love almost every sport imaginable though."

"What's their favorite," he asked. "Cody loves basketball and Tyson loves soccer. Because I have the money from what you gave me, I'm gonna let them try out for the basketball and soccer teams at school," I told him. "When are their tryouts," he asked me. "Cody's tryouts are next Tuesday and Tyson has tryouts on Wednesday after school," I told him as we got to the car.

"That's after the school buses leave for the day. How are they getting home," he asked me. "They we're gonna take the city bus," I answered. "They'll ride together, meaning on Cody's tryouts, Tyson will stay to watch and vice versa." "I'll pick them up," he said to me. "When do you get out of work on those days," he asked me. "Seven on Tuesday and ten on Wednesday," I said. "You really don't have to pick them up. I don't want to be a bother."

"Its not safe. I'll pick them up. It's not up for debate woman," he told me.

"Let's go," Cody said. "I want to see the kick off!" I sighed as Venom opened the passenger door for me and I got in.

The compound was filled with a bunch of bikers and their families. Venom lead us inside, straight to a man who had black hair in a crew cut with a graying goatee. "You must be Stella," the man said as he stood from the bar stool he was sitting on. "I'm Spark, the president of Toxic Smoke." He stuck his hand out for me to shake and I did. "It's nice to meet you," I said with a nod. "These are my boys Cody and Tyson."

"Thanks for inviting us," Tyson said with a smile as Cody nodded. Spark nodded, "You're welcome." "You kids run along," Venom said to them. Vanessa took Jocelyn's hand as the four of them went to the giant flat screen where many of the bikers were hanging around.

"Venom explain why I wanted to meet you," Spark asked me. I nodded, "Yeah. Look, I don't care if you guys replace it. It should be the jerks who shot it up. Besides, Venom has given me more than enough to make up for the loss of my car." Venom scoffed, "You need the car. Especially since the boys are getting into sports." I shot Venom a look, "I can figure it out. I got my first car, I can get a second one."

He crossed his arms, "Stop being fucking stubborn. Swallow your pride and accept it." "I've done enough of that lately," I told him. "I got this." We got into one of our glaring contests.

We were pulled from our glaring contest when we heard Spark laugh at us. "Finally, someone who can match Venom in the stubbornness department," Spark said with a smile. Venom scoffed, but didn't say anything. "We'll replace your car girly," Spark told me. "You seriously don't have too," I told him honestly.

"And that right there is why I want too," he said while pointing at me. "All too often, I find people who are quick to accept handouts, but you want to do it on your own and I admire that. Now you will accept the car, because either way you're getting one. If you accept it, then you get to come with Venom and I and pick what you like. If not, then you're stuck with what we give you. Either way, you're getting one." I went to say something but the look Spark gave me had me snapping my mouth shut and nodding.

"Why can't you fucking be like that with me," Venom asked. "Because you're a bully," I said while looking at him. He scoffed, "What the fuck are you, five?" "You know, you don't have to drop the F bomb every other word," I said to him. "I'll drop the fucking fuck bomb whenever the fuck I want," he said to me. "Neanderthal," I said while rolling my eyes and glancing over at the boys to make sure they're not getting into trouble. Cody was perched on the arm of the couch while Tyson was on the floor by the coffee table, eyes glued to the TV.

"So what sports are they getting into," Spark asked me. "Cody is trying out for the basketball team and Tyson is trying out for the soccer team," I said. "It's the first time they've ever had an opportunity like this." "Why is that," Spark asked me. I shrugged, "Could never afford it. I have a lot of the money Venom gave me from the shoot out saved up, so when they asked, I decided to let them go for it."

"It was nearly impossible to get her to spend any of it on herself at the mall," Venom grumbled. "Stubborn woman." "Stubborn neanderthal," I said to him.

When the food was served I sat on a barstool next to Venom. Neither of us said anything, our eyes on the kids.

Spark's POV

Watching Venom and Stella interact was very comical. Both were stubborn to the core, but they were fully committed to their kids and that was something to admire. Looking at the both of them, you could tell they needed a good couple of nights rest. Both had dark circles under their eyes. Venom was throwing himself into jobs to make sure the money kept flowing so if anything happened to him, then his girls would be set for life.

Stella has clearly been working herself into the ground, not risking using the money Venom gave her as a cushion. It was clear every dime was worth a hundred dollars to her. I watched as Stella yawned for the fourth time as she watched the game. Venom had his back against the bar, his arms stretched out along it, sitting slightly slouched.

Stella was sitting with her back to it as well, watching the game, but probably too tired to actually pay attention to it. I looked at their kids. Her boys were smiling brightly at the game while Vanessa was texting away on her phone and Jocelyn was looking at what her sister was doing.

"We've been telling Venom for years he's gonna kill himself working the way he is," Doc said and I nodded. "I'm aware," I said.

"Now there is a woman, just as stubborn as he is, doing the same damn thing," Doc said. "Except she ain't got anyone like he's got us." "That's not true," I said to him. "Whether they want to admit it or not, they have each other. Especially when it comes to those kids." That much was obvious to everyone but them.