Chapter 29: Battling on the Catwalk

"I'm sorry," I bowed my head to both my friends as I sat on the side of my bed. 

While I had been away battling away my anger, Alex and Robert had went ahead and got us all a room. Robert was on the top bunk of the bed across from me while Alex sat in the middle of the bottom bed with her legs crossed.

Robert grinned from the top bunk and flashed me a thumbs up while Alex gave a small smile. "So," she said, raising an eyebrow. "What exactly made you so secretive?"

I relayed everything that had happened, from the call that I had gotten while we were still on Route 4, and up to the point where I had gotten ambushed by Spirit.

"You sure had an eventful day without us," Alex remarked.

"I have to know," Robert said, all traces of his grin from earlier gone now. "Why does she keep warning us? I thought these Executioners didn't care who got in their way, as long as they got their job done?"

"I'm... not exactly sure," I admitted, and added upon seeing Alex's skeptical look, "I really don't, Alex. When Silver and I were hunting down the last of the Team Rocket bases in Johto, she did warn me off then too, but that was it. The next several times I ran into her and the other Executioners it was all business. Why she wants to keep warning us, I couldn't tell you."

"Maybe she just doesn't like killing innocent people that aren't a part of her job?" Robert guessed.

"That doesn't matter, not anymore," Alex told him before looking back at me. "You said that this was her last warning to us? What did you think about that?"

"I think..." I heaved a sigh. "I think that even with the risks, if our help is what will save those in trouble, then we'll do it."

Alex smiled. "Now was that so hard?"

"Yes," I told her bluntly. "You do realize that one wrong move will send three top notch assassins after us?"

"Yes," Alex said clearly, getting up and crossing over to me. "Yes, Zeno, I do understand that. I really do. But at this point, after everything we've done..." she hesitated. "It would feel wrong to not help others when we have the power to help them."

"And if there are others who could help in our stead?" I pressed.

"Who else could do it better than us?" Alex asked, tilting her head with a smile as she knelt in front of me. She laughed at my look of disapproval. "Sorry, just wanted to see your reaction. In all seriousness," she grew more solemn. "We were targets from the moment we began fighting. We could be offed at any time, regardless of what we do or don't do. And we could even stumble into a situation on accident and then be forced to deal with the consequences. All I'm saying is, fighting or not fighting, we'll still be in the same place we already are now." She grabbed my hands. "At least this way, we have a chance at helping take them down entirely. That, at least, we have a good track record of doing."

"But before we do anything crazy, we'll contact Looker beforehand," I told her.

She nodded. "Of course."

Robert cleared his throat after a couple seconds of silence. "You two gonna kiss or something? You're just sitting there."

Alex instantly let go of my hands with a blush and moved away. She sat down on her bed and swung a fist up, punching Robert through his mattress.

"Ow," Robert rubbed his behind as he looked over at me. "So what now? I don't think the gym is open this late, so we just get some sleep and then you two can battle tomorrow? Actually, hold on, let me set up an appointment for you two. Elesa only takes battles on appointment."