Chapter 60: Black Deeds

The week following the New Year had been a wet one for Unova. Snow fell in the northern regions while rain bombarded most of the central and southern areas, including the metropolis known as Black City. A young man with sopping green hair sticking out from beneath his hat in a ponytail stood outside one of the many skyscrapers, a sigh escaping his lips.

"Dang't," he muttered, rubbing his face with his hands. He was exhausted. On top of the community service he'd been sentenced, he was doing his best to get Team Plasma off the ground as a non-profit organization in order to help Pokemon in need. So far it had been tough going. He'd met with the top CEOs here in Black City in hopes to secure funding, but he'd been rejected.

"Doesn't help that I'm a criminal," N said softly as he began walking. Zoroark slipped out of the shadows where he'd been hiding and joined him. Both were soaked to the bone, but N cared less about that than his failed ventures.

He was so lost in thought he almost didn't hear it. But when he did, he paused, a splash of water catching his ankles. He listened and made out-

Eyes widening ever so slightly, he resumed walking, trying to act casual. He began whispering to Zoroark, and his Pokemon's eyes narrowed. He listened while trying not to seem suspicious and quickly made a decision. He turned sharply into an alley and broke into a fast run. Zoroark was on his heels, senses alert. Just as he reached the end, he nearly ran into a young girl and her Lampent as they were passing by the mouth of the alley.

The orange haired girl yelped in surprise and almost fell back if it weren't for her Lampent catching her. Her umbrella did fall out of her grasp and landed in a puddle while N fell onto his butt.

"My apologies," N said, out of breath, reaching for the umbrella and handing it back to her as he stood. "Sorry, I have to get going-"

"You're him," she said, staring at him with wide teal eyes. "N. The leader of Team Plasma?"

"I, yes," N turned away. "That Team Plasma is dead. Go on, you shouldn't be around me."

"Why not?"

"Why- why not?" He whirled back around, caught off guard. "Surely you don't trust me?"

She regarded him. "He vouched for you. That's good enough for me."

"He?"

"Zeno," she said simply. "If he trusts you, then I trust you."

N opened his mouth, but no words came out. Shaking his head, he turned and began walking away. "You should go home. It's not safe to be by yourself." Zoroark regarded the girl and Lampent curiously before hurrying after him and the both of them set a fast pace.

"There's not a lot of people around," N said, realizing too late that with evening setting in and the third consecutive day of heavy rain, not a whole lot of people were going to be out in the nearly flood-like streets. Part of him wondered why a girl that young was out here on a day like this, and another part of him itched to go back and help her and her Pokemon, but she was safer without him near her. Because-

N came to a stop. Through the heavy downpour and darkening cloudy skies, he could just make out a figure leaning against a streetlamp. He squinted as another shape came into view. A Pokemon hovering just above his shoulders. Cursing, N turned around, only to see a third figure approaching slowly, a weapon of sorts dangling from their hand at their side and the shadow of a Pokemon walking beside them.

Zoroark growled beside him, flexing his claws as N glanced around desperately before a thought came to him. Perhaps this was karmic justice. After everything he'd done, this is what he got. What he deserved.