Chapter 4: Night Activity

"Didn't you mention you have a little brother?" Alex asked as we left Robert's house to go and explore Aspertia City a little more. 

"Ah, right," Robert nodded. "Apparently he came home last night from staying at school too long. He even left before you two woke up."

"The school is for teaching Pokemon trainers, right?" I remembered. "Your brother must be really looking forward to going on his own adventure one day."

"He took after me," Robert rubbed his cheek in embarrassment. "Well, the old me at any rate."

"About that," Alex set her hands on her hips as she stuck her face close to Robert's. "What exactly did you get up to in this region when you got back from Alola?"

"Well that is a story that is less interesting than you may think," Robert forewarned. 

"We got the whole day to talk and explore," I reminded him. "Or we could go and talk somewhere, like a park."

Robert thought about it. "Well, not a park. It's... Well, you'll just have to see it for yourselves. Come on, it's this way!" He lead us down a couple streets, past shop windows and a bakery that had a sweet flavorful aroma wafting from it. The atmosphere was akin to some of the avenues in Lumiose City, but different in its own way. Most people were beginning to dress up in sweaters and longer pants as the Fall season continued on.

"Up this way," Robert said, heading up some stairs where the road ended. "The view is so worth coming here, trust me." After less than a minute, we had climbed onto the platform. Being so high, we could feel the cool wind more directly without the buildings blocking it. And the view took my breath away.

"Welcome to Unova," Robert grinned, holding out his hand to the beautiful scenery. With a cry, a flock of Swanna flew overhead, flying over the vast forest. Many of the trees had already turned an array of beautiful fall colors, the lake just beyond glittering in the sunlight. Even further, large mountains loomed over the surrounding landscape.

"Beautiful," Alex breathed as she leaned over the railing, her hair flowing in the wind as golden orange leaves fluttered past her.

Robert elbowed me softly in the ribs. "You got yourself someone splendid, you hear?"

"Yeah yeah," I pushed him away, unable to help the warm feeling that spread into my cheeks. "Hey now, don't distract us with the scenery. You have a story to tell."

Alex leaned against the railing with her back now. "He's right. Come on, spill."

"Alright, geez," Robert tucked his hands into his jean pockets, staring at the view for a couple moments before starting. "When I got back from Alola, I almost immediately went on another journey together with Snorlax." He took a second to let the Normal type out, who sat up, seeming to enjoy the scenery as well. "I wanted to show my family and all those who supported me that I could get stronger from my defeat in the Alolan League. Plus, another adventure sounded fun."

He sighed, smiling softly. "At first, I'll admit, it wasn't so fun. Just travelling with your Pokemon is great and all, but I lacked the human companionship. Continuously training to get stronger was all I really did when I travelled. Then," a wider smile formed. "I met those two. Then the journey truly became an adventure." He slammed his fist into an open palm. "Gym after gym, me and my rivals went, aiming for the famous Unova League. Along the way, I made even more friends, both people and Pokemon." 

"And when the day finally arrived, I took part in the tournament," Robert turned more serious. "All my training and diligence had lead me up to that point. I claimed victory and arrived at Elite 4. Those were the toughest battles of my entire life, I tell you. Except for..." Robert closed his eyes, looking lost within a memory. "Alder, this region's Champion. When I faced him, I truly realized how far I had really come and how much further I would need to go."